Chp 2: Kidnapped

(Y/n)'s POV

Today marked the third anniversary of my sister's kidnapping. I believe my father tried not to dwell on these things in hopes of keeping my spirits up, but it didn't work. I fiddled with the locket on my neck and wandered down to the sitting room.

"Your ladyship, glad to see you're out of your room in time for tea," my personal guard, Sir Tokoyami, bowed slightly as I sat myself at the tea table.

"Wow, I guess I somehow got here before Papá... that's rarer than a unicorn sighting," I giggled, whilst awaiting my father.

"Sorry to keep you waiting— never thought I'd be saying that to you!" My father spoke in a hearty manner as he entered the sitting room. A servant poured our tea and my father asked the usual "how did you sleep?" and "what do you have planned for the day?"

Everything was going as it usually did, but a thought kept pestering my mind. Papá never wanted to talk about Mamá or Valentina; however, something had been bothering me.

"Papá, why didn't they kill Valentina?" I spoke suddenly, causing my father to drop his tea. The small, porcelain cup shattered on the ground and several guards turned sharply to see what the commotion was.

"(Y/n), I don't think that's a very appropriate question," Papá scoffed and signaled for a maid to clean up the mess.

"I disagree— I think it is a quite fitting question for what day it is. Tell me, you didn't forget, did you?" I asked, trying hard to ignore the pain in the back of my throat.

"Of course I didn't, but it is hard for me to talk about it and you know that," he scoffed yet again.

"It should be! But you must understand, that the only way I can find some sort of peace is to know why they would kill Mamá, but keep Valentina alive. I mean, Mamá had a wonderful quirk, wouldn't a Pirate rather sell her?" I finally released the question that had been bothering me for years.

"Pirates are incapable of making decisions based on logic and intellect. They do whatever they feel will satisfy their sadistic needs of the moment. Don't try and rationalize their choices. Now, if that's all, please never speak of this to me again, understood?" Papá spoke sternly as he rose from his chair.

I hesitated a moment before responding solemnly with, "Yes, Papá." He left the room and I stared at my faint reflection in my tea which grew colder and colder. I couldn't help but wonder when it would be my turn to face the wrath of the pirates who enjoyed plundering our home so much.

"Your Ladyship, you look ill. Why don't I see that your plans are cancelled for the day?" Sir Tokoyami places a hand on my shoulder, waking me from my trance.

"No, no, I'm fine. Momo is supposed to come over in just a bit, and I wouldn't want to miss that! I'm sure I'll be much better after seeing her," I smiled, reassuringly.

"Just remember that Sir Monoma will be joining your father and you for dinner tonight," Tokoyami reminded me.

"Oh that's right... Papá made it seem important. Guess there's no cancelling plans then!" I giggled. I left the sitting room and decided to wait for Momo in the library. Sitting on the expensive upholstery, I opened the novel I had lazily left sitting there from the day before. After getting through a couple pages, I was interrupted by a guard bringing in my closest friend.

"Why did I know you would be here?" Momo chuckled and came over to poke my shoulder. I gave her an irritated grunt as I slowly shut the book cover.

"Can you believe that so many girls aren't allowed the chance to learn how to read?!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands into the air.

"You act like this is new news to you," Momo continued to laugh.