Chp 5: The Challenge

(Y/n)'s POV
I had terrible nightmares that night, which were always a curse at the time, but a blessing in the morning. Nightmares usually lead to more powerful options for my quirk.

The dream I had, however, was quite unsettling, and I recalled it as I looked at the image of my father and fiancé on my forearm. I couldn't think of how this would help me in any situations. I had dreamt that what Bakugo said was actually true and that my father and Sir Monoma were celebrating my disappearance over tea. In the dream, I had escaped the Bakuhatsu and made it back to Maracaibo, only to have my father order soldiers to kill me.

I shuttered at the thought of the dream and quickly got out of bed and headed to my wardrobe. I pulled out a white peasant gown with green fabric over the skirt. I put it on and pulled the strings of the front-facing corset tight. I slid on my combat boots and skipped up the stairs onto the deck. The smell of the gulf filled my nose, as a bit of sea spray flicked my face. I smiled as the shining sun warmed my face, exposing a couple freckles.

"Someone looks chipper today. Nice to see you in good spirits, Miss," the man I knew as Sero called from the crow's nest.

"Well I've never been on a boat, so I'm enjoying the new experience. Plus, my day hasn't been ruined by Captain Scowl-Face yet," I yelled back, laughing at my new name for Bakugo.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that, Miss, here he comes," Sero pointed towards the Captain's quarters and I saw the beloved Captain emerge. A frown adorned my face, but was quickly replaced when I saw Mina emerging from below deck.

"Good Morning, (L/n)! Did you sleep well?" Mina asked, rubbing her eyes groggily in contrast to her peppy demeanor.

"Well, to be honest I have slept better, but I was quite comfortable though!" I responded, not wanting to lie, but not wanting her to blame herself either.

"Well that's to be expected. I'm off to probably scrub something. See you at dinner!" Mina waved and headed off to get instructions from Bakugo. I had to hand it to him, he knew how to run a ship. I drifted over to the side of the ship and let the salty air ruffle my hair.

"You really shouldn't be up here," a gruff voice caught me by surprise. I turned sharply to see Bakugo glaring down at me from his height advantage.

"My deepest apologies, Sir. I didn't know that I was still considered a prisoner in your eyes," I huffed, crossing my arms.

"You always jump to conclusions! You shouldn't be up her because it's not safe for you out in the open," Bakugo rolled his eyes and threw his hands about in agitation.

"Oh, so you think I can't handle myself?" I questioned. I hated when people assumed I was weak and helpless because I was a wealthy female. I knew how to fight for myself.

"It doesn't matter how well you can use your quirk if a whole ship's worth of skilled swordsmen have you pinned down and unable to initiate your quirk," Bakugo pointed out. I sighed realizing he was making some good points. In what he thought was my defeat in the argument, I came up with a solution.

"Then give me a sword."

"I'm sorry... what?!"

"I said, 'give me a sword.'"

"Are you insane?! I'm not going to give you a sword just so you can carelessly swing it about and accidentally cut off someone's hand!" Bakugo exclaimed. He was appalled by my demand and clearly underestimated me.

"I know how to use a sword. If you don't believe me, then test me," I suggested. I knew he wouldn't be able to resist the chance to prove his dominance.