Ch. 44: Timeless

Bakugo's POV

With Kurogiri taken care of, our next task was to release the innocent prisoners in the bilge. (Y/n) had been clinging to my arm ever since Kurogiri disappeared. I couldn't tell if she was trying to show that she was there for me or if she herself was scared... maybe it was a bit of both. This was the end, right? We beat the bad guys and gained our freedom. We could do whatever we wanted! But why was their the lack of satisfaction deep within my soul? Everything still felt uneasy. I just wanted to hold (Y/n) tight in my arms and go to sleep forever-- ignoring every responsibility I had. 

"Kat? Kat?" (Y/n) repeated my name, her voice growing with concern. I snapped back to reality and realized that we had made our way to the prisoners' cells. I shook off my spiraling thoughts and directed my attention to the blood-stained iron bars that gated off emaciated people from the rest of the ship. The keys were resting on a nail in the wall near a stool that Twice usually sat guarding the prisoners. I grabbed the key, anger in my movements, and began unlocking the prison cells. I expected the prisoners to sprint out of the door, running as if this was their only chance, but not one of them moved.

"Leave, blimey! You're free! Tomura is dead," I yelled, irritated by the entire situation. A young boy, maybe around six or seven, crawled towards the exit-- not taking his eyes off me. "I'm not going to hurt you... please, just leave this place."

"Kat, if this is too much I can handle it. Why don't you head back and get--"

"Be quiet!" I shouted at (Y/n), throwing her hands off of my arm. Her eyes went wide and she took a step back. This place was making me sick and I hated the weakness it instilled in me. I knew exactly how Tomura treated these people and I was forced to punish them too when I was still on the ship. These people had done nothing wrong, yet they were tortured and neglected. 

"I'm sorry, (Y/n), I didn't mean it. I'm just overwhelmed right now," I apologized, not able to look into (Y/n)'s eyes. 

"Now that's not something I ever thought I'd hear you say," an unfamiliar laugh chuckled. I immediately grabbed (Y/n) by the shoulder and moved her behind me, my hand instinctually going to my sword.

"Who said that?!" I called out, scanning the room of slow-moving prisoners. The ex-prisoners took notice of my sword and began to flee more rapidly-- all except for one. An old man emerged from the darkness, which seemed to hug at his skin. Despite his age, he didn't have any grey to his physical image, rather he was near-black in color from head to toe except for the whites of his eyes. 

"A prisoner?" (Y/n) questioned allowed, peering from behind my body.

"Not anymore, thanks to you lot," The old man chuckled, hobbling towards us with a makeshift cane. 

"I'm sorry, but do I know you? Why did you act so familiar with me?" I asked the mysterious man who seemed rather cheerful for someone who had been imprisoned and starved. 

"Oh I suppose you don't... I must have gotten you confused with someone else. The gears in the old brain don't turn as well as they used to. I have to say, you two look just like some people I was very close to years ago. What are your names, if you don't mind me asking?" The old man clarified, squinting to get a better look and (Y/n) and I.

"Pirate... it's Bakugo... just Bakugo," I answered, changing my mind mid-sentence. (Y/n) looked up at my inquisitively, likely wondering why I didn't use my title like I typically did.

"Oh, my name is (Y/n) Desoto."

"Bakugo... Bakugo Katsuki by any chance?" The man guessed my first name and I was taken aback.

"How did you--"

"I've been here a long time, I know a thing or two that you don't. (Y/n) and Bakugo... huh I wonder what he would think of that if he knew," the man mumbled, clearly not addressing anyone we knew of.