Chp. 16: Blame

Bakugo's POV

It was finally the day, the day that I would avenge (Y/n). Despite my wishes, we stayed an entire week in Portland Ridge, Jamaica. I avoided Valentina as much as possible because I couldn't help but think of (Y/n) when I heard her voice. Usually I didn't run into much trouble at all when rescuing victims of slave trade, imprisonment, and blackmail, especially not with the League. I couldn't believe my one failure had to be her. I was useless to her just like I was to my parents. What was the point of saving people if I couldn't even save the people close to me? I tried convincing myself that acting as if everything was normal would help me get over the pain in my heart, but it did nothing but keep my crew from asking questions. 

After staying a week in Portland Ridge, we took off in the direction the League was last seen headed-- towards Hellshire. We had to make up for a significant amount of lost time and traveled even in the worst of weather. Luckily, Valentina, familiar with the area, knew a short cut around Great Goat Island that wasn't frequently sailed upon that supposedly would help us catch up with the League. I was skeptical at first, but, then again, she stayed on the coast of Jamaica for several years. A few days after heading out from Portland Ridge, we saw the tattered black flag with a claw-like, white hand centered on it fly amidst a purple fog-- we had found it... and it was time to fight back.

As our two ships approached the League, canon fire began immediately. A bubbly pirate with a pink scarf tied at her waist would reach out and touch the canon balls, redirecting them back towards the League. She was assisted by a green-haired pirate of Valentina's crew who had already begun to get on my nerves. He would simply punch the canon balls and send them crashing into the ocean below. Sero made a bridge over and Kirishima, Valentina, and I crossed over to the enemy ship.

"Just remember, don't let Tomura touch you," I reminded both Kirishima and Valentina. "And let me do the honors of killing him."

"Shame, I was hoping to get the last hit in, but I guess I can be generous and let you have it," Valentina sighed, twirling a saber similar to the one I gave (Y/n). Lately it seemed that everything reminded me of (Y/n) and it was beginning to irritate me.

"I'm going to storm his quarters with Kirishima. Captain Valentina, can you go below deck in case he tries to pull a fast one?" I asked, wanting to be certain Tomura could not escape us. Valentina nodded and head for the stairs, elegantly dueling a few goons on her way down. I walked up to the cabin doors I had opened so many times, but this time I ignored the door handle and just exploded a gaping hole in the door. Stepping in, I grinned when I saw I had the honor of dealing with Tomura.

"I didn't expect ye'd be back, lad. Yee tucked yer tail and ran off, I thought ye'd finally learnt yer less'n," Tomura sighed, not even bothering to look up at us.

"You sound just as ignorant as ever, Hand Face. You know I'm a strong believer in an eye for an eye-- you killed a member of my crew, so I must kill you," I stated, getting straight to the point.

"One of yer tiny crew? Nay, I don't believe that be true, laddie," Tomura tapped his chin, clearly playing dumb and testing my temper. Surprisingly it was Kirishima who was the first to lose his cool, though.

"Don't play dumb, you lousy scoundrel! You killed (L/n) and you're going to pay the price!" Kirishima shouted, nearly throwing himself onto Tomura's desk, the only thing stopping him was my grasp on his collar. 

"(L/n)? Aye, yee mean the wench?"

"Don't call her that," I muttered sharply, clenching my teeth together in an attempt to keep myself from acting rashly.

"I thought she be part of the political world, and yee be here tell'n me she's one of yer weak crew members? She could do so much more with her quirk and she just lets yee boss her 'round?" He asked, evidently avoiding the topic of her death.