Chp. 11: Familiar Sights

Tokoyami's POV:

"So I take it you received my letter," I spoke quietly to the winged man sitting beside me in the tavern.

"You better be right about all of this because I cancelled a lot of important meetings to fly over here," the man said, taking a gulp of the drink in front of him.

"You and I both know that you are more than willing to cancel meetings at the drop of the hat, especially for something more... you're style, Hawks."

"Is that your way of saying I prefer the vigilante lifestyle to my ambassador duties?" Hawks laughed. I shot him a quick glare, irritated that he was drawing more attention to us than necessary.

"Shhhh! We don't need all of Maracaibo to know! Now I don't care what you call yourself-- vigilante, ambassador, or even assassin... I just need to know if you think you can help me out here." I asked, impatiently tapping my fingers on the bar counter.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. You worry too much! Have I ever let you down?" Hawks leaned back on his bar stool, nearly tipping it over.

"Well, it's always cutting it close, but I suppose not. I just need you to find her before they do. Got it? No backing out... because you know that you owe me this." I stood up and prepared myself to head back to the Governor's house.

"I know, you don't need to remind me. Don't worry, kid, I'll find her."

(Y/n)'s POV

"(Y/n), (Y/n)... look at me, Mija*." A familiar voice called out to me from far away, yet when I opened my eyes her soft smile was so close.

"Mamá?" I reached towards my mother's face in a sleepy haze. "I didn't think you were alive. How did you find me?"

"Oh, Dulzura*, I wish I could be with you in the physical world, but you and I both know that's not the case." My mother cooed, tucking a stray hair behind my ear.

"Mamá..." I began to cry "I miss you so much! Why did everything have to turn out this way!? How could you marry a man that... that..."

"That was willing to kill his own family to ensure his own power? (Y/n), I wish I could go back and throw the engagement ring down on the floor right in front of his face, but I can't. He used to be a very kind man and if you told my younger self that he would turn out this way... I wouldn't believe you. Your father is a very paranoid man, (Y/n)." My mother wiped away my falling tears and I sat up to look in her (e/c) eyes.

"Paranoid? He has so much power! He has the strength of ten thousand ordinary men!" I shouted in disbelief.

"Yes, but you have the power of ten thousand extraordinary men. He grew up in a time of war and his father, your grandfather, was killed in the Anglo-Spanish War. He idolized his father and believed no one could defeat him, but that wasn't the case. Tragedy hardens the heart and fear paralyzes the brain. He's afraid he'll end up like his father if he lets people of great power near him."

"Papá..." I started, but my voice drifted off into a melancholic silence. My father never spoke of his childhood, and I was sure it was because he didn't want to appear weak. I felt so terrible for him and was ready to go home and try and rekindle the man my mother fell in love with.

"As sad as that may be, that does not excuse his actions. I may have not been around to see you grow up, (Y/n), but if you are at all like the child I knew then you are ready to go home and 'save' him from himself." My mother's tone became very serious and I jumped at her accuracy, although I shouldn't be too surprised since she was just in my mind and wasn't real. "(Y/n), you are on the right path, so don't stray from it. I need you to continue with this young man and, please, find your sister for me. Please tell her that I'm sorry I couldn't protect her... tell her I'm sorry she had to grow up so fast."