Welcome to Beacon Hills High

I jump up in a panic from my alarm, and look over to Scott, who is sprawled across his bed. My eyes are still blurry and my hair has become parted down the side from the way I slept. The sun hasn't risen yet, so everything of substance in the room is a shadow. I reach over to Scott and begin to shake his body.

"Dude! the alarm didn't wake you?" I head to the bathroom and start brushing my teeth.

"No please." Scott mumbles with his face smushed into his pillow, "just a little longer!"

"Get up!" I yell at him from the bathroom, "I'm using your shower. Do you seriously only have two-in-one hair wash?"

"Go ask mom, she has some shower gels and stuff." His voice croaks.

Melissa isn't my mom, but since I have been friends with Scott and Stiles for so long, I stay at their houses a lot. Melissa and Mr. Stilinski pretty much take more care of me than my own mom. I have a great relationship with my mom, she just works a lot.

I stumble out of the dark bedroom and make my way down the hall, being guided by the faint light of the thermostat on the wall.

"Hey mom," I whisper in hopes of only waking her up enough to get a response. "Can I use your shower gel and hair wash?" Her head briefly lifts from her pillow.

"Go ahead." She smiles and lays her head back down.

"Thanks, sorry for waking you." I tip-toe to her bathroom and grab her shower supplies, leaving as fast as I came in.

By the time I get back to Scott's room, he is already up and dressed, acting like he wasn't half dead 5 minutes ago.

"How did you do that?" I ask.

"I'm excited for lacrosse! First day back after winter break!"

"I'm not excited." I feel my stomach twisting into knots, and I slowly makes my way back to the bathroom, gripping onto my abdomen. "It's like my nerves are playing hop-scotch on my intestines."

✿

I make my way to the front of the school, making sure I don't make eye contact with anyone I don't know. I pass Jackson who is, no surprise, being as asshole to Scott. Once Jackson has finished making his snarky comments about either being rich or good at lacrosse, I catch up to Scott.

"Did you tell Stiles what happened last night?" I ask loudly exhaling after each word and pulling my backpack up on my shoulder.

"Are you having an anxiety attack?"

"How in the world did you know?" I respond, putting my shaking hands into my sweatshirt pocket.

"First of all you heartbeat is crazy fast, but I also know you are good at hiding them except for the fact that you get really out of breath by just talking."

"You know me so well." I smile, pretending I didn't just hear the odd comment about hearing my heartbeat. "Anyways, did you tell Stiles?"

"Yeah, he wants to see."

"So, let's see this." Stiles is standing in front of the school, blocking like half of the entrance.

I pull up my sleeve while Scott lifts up the side of his shirt.

"I was too dark to see vey much, but I'm pretty sure it was a wolf." I nod in agreement to Scott's statement, too nervous for school to add anything on.

"A wolf bit you? Not a chance." Stiles laughs at Scott's statement.

"We heard a wolf howling." I say quietly, fiddling with the rings on my fingers.

"No you didn't!" Scott looks at me and rolls his eyes at how stubborn Stiles is. "Because California hasn't had wolves for like sixty years."

"Really?" Scott and I say in unison.

"Yes really. There are no wolves in California." Stiles pulls out his phone, ready to do a google search and prove them wrong.

"Well if you don't believe me about the wolf," Scott looks to me and grimaces, "then you definitely wont believe me when I tell you we found the body."

"Are you kidding me?" Stiles nearly begins to jump out of excitement.

"I wish!" I exclaim.

"I'm gonna have nightmares for a month!" Scott adds.

"That a freaking awesome! I mean seriously, this is the best thing that ever happened in this town since... the birth of Lydia Martin. Hey, Lydia!"

Lydia grabs my arm and starts walking me into the school.

"You look like...you're gonna ignore me! Maeve please get your sister to acknowledge me!" Stiles continues.

"Sorry Stiles, been trying that for years. See you guys in class!" I respond, looking back at them.

I walk into my new school on my first day of sophomore year at Beacon Hills High School, clinging onto my sister.

"Get off!" Lydia exclaims while prying my fingers off of her arm. "This is expensive!"

"I'm nervous, god! Have some compassion." I can feel the fast paced thumping in my chest. I grip my wrist with the opposite arm and subconsciously checks my pulse.

"Look," Lydia grabs onto my forearms. "I know this is your first year at Beacon Hills High, but you have friends, right? You know, like that spaz boy and that Scott kid. You'll be fine."

"You'd think after all these years of them being my best friends you would know their names-" I stop what I'm saying when I realize that Lydia has already started walking away.