The Tell

"Did they forget my curly fries?" Sheriff Stilinski is digging in the fast food bag in front of him, and I shove a few fries in my mouth before slowly handing them to him from the back seat. 

"You're not supposed to eat fries, especially the curly one." Stiles stares at his dad, who has just snatched the fries out of my hand. 

"Fine...Maeve you're looking a little small lately so you can have them." He hands them back to me while looking at Stiles, "But I'm the one carrying a lethal weapon here. If I wan't the fries, I will have the fries." 

"Dad, Maeve isn't looking small, she's just five foot four, and has recently started wearing clothes that aren't five sizes too big - thanks to Lydia." 

"No, he's right. I have lost a little weight." I say, shoving a fry in my mouth. 

"Why?" They both ask in unison. 

"Well I lose my appetite when I'm on my period, but I'm off of it now." 

Sheriff chokes on a piece of food and starts coughing. 

"Dad, it's not an unheard of thought. It's just blood." Stiles looks at him judgingly. 

"Okay but can we not talk about blood while i'm-" 

"Unit one, do you copy?" A dispatcher is heard from the radio in the car. 

Sheriff picks up the radio and responds, "Unit one, copy." 

"Got a report of a possible one-eight-seven." 

"A murder?" Stiles shouts with a mouth full of food while throwing his body towards the radio. 

"So much for not talking about blood." I put down the fries in the cup holder and grimace. The thought of blood is enough to make me pass out so I don't really feel like spewing curly fries in the back seat.

"Stay here." He picks up the radio and speaks into it again, "Paul, get the area locked up." He gets up and steps out of the car, closing the door behind him. 

"Oh, no way." 

"We are not staying in this car." 

I squeeze myself against Stiles in the passenger seat and role down the window to hear the conversation between my sister, her god awful boyfriend, and Sheriff Stilinski. 

"What part of 'i'm fine' are you having a problem grasping? Okay, I want to go home." Jackson is being an asshole as usual, and I look over to Stiles, who is nearly growling at him, despite his lack of werewolf-ness. 

"And I understand that-"

"No, you don't understand that, which kind of blows my mind, since it should be a pretty basic concept to grasp for a minimum-wage rent-a-cop like you! Okay? Now, I want to go home." 

"Oh hell no." I crawl over Stiles and push my body out the window, tumbling forward. My forehead smacks the ground but I ignore the blinding pain to stumble over to Jackson and my sister. 

"You need to learn some manners, asshole! I can't believe my sister is dating someone as horrible and stupid, as you!" 

"Oh shut up, bitch!" He turns his body towards me and spits in my face a little when annunciating the last word. 

"Absolutely not." Lydia stands up and moves towards Jackson. "We are done. For real this time, shitface. And by the way? Your penis looks like a worm in a turtle neck" She spins around fast enough for her hair to whip Jackson in the face. "I'm gonna drive home and take some Valium because I am thoroughly traumatized by what I just saw. Love you!"

"Love you too..." I say, looking back at Jackson who is now in tears. I laugh in his face before doing the same as Lydia - spinning my body around and whipping him in the face with my hair. 

"So, Lydia's free now?" Stiles' face is lit up, and I roll my eyes at him while he stares at the ambulance she was once sitting in. "Woahh! is that a dead body?" He pushes me out of the way and lets his curiosity take over, speed walking to the body. 

"Everybody back. back up."

I feel a hand grab onto my forearm and I twist my body around, hooking the unseen force with my fist. 

"Seriously?" Derek is standing behind me, Scott at his side. 

"Sorry.."

"Whatever. Anyways, are you guys starting to get it?" He points at the body bag that is being loaded into the back of the ambulance. 

"Uh, I get that he's killing people, but I don't get why. I mean, this isn't standard practice, right? We don't go out in the middle of the night murdering everyone, do we?" Scott asks, looking at the video store, and not at us. 

"Well, you might not." 

He snaps his head towards me and stares in horror. "What?" 

"I told you I was worried about her-" 

"I was kidding! Gosh, you guys don't know how to take a joke." I say, awkwardly laughing at my bad excuse of a joke. 

"Okay... Anyways, answering Scott; No. We're predators. We don't have to be killers. This one over here is gonna kill someone though, it's inevitable." He points his thumb at me. 

"Wow! That's really gonna help me gain control. Thanks a lot Derek!" I say sarcastically, forcing a smile. 

"You're welcome." 

Scott ignores us and continues his conversation. "Then why is he a killer?" 

"Or she! Don't get all sexist on me now, Scott." 

"Or she." Scott adds, jokingly rolling his eyes at me.

"That's what we're gonna find out. Now Maeve? Go help your boyfriend over there. He's wandering around like a lost puppy. I keep hearing him ask where the hell you went." 

"Oh, yeah he looks like he's freaking out. I will be back in a minute, after I let him know I didn't wander off." I look over to the boy who is walking around in panicked circles, probably thinking I just got eaten by a werewolf, or turned into one. 

"Are you not gonna deny the whole 'boyfriend' thing Derek said or.." Scott's voice trails off as I walk away from him, ignoring his question. 

"Stiles, I'm right here." 

"Oh....My god! I thought you were dead." He grabs onto me and squeezes my body, nearly freeing my lungs of all their oxygen. 

"Stiles - can't - breathe!" 

"Oh!" He lets go and smiles at me, before walking back to his dad's car. 

I stick my head through the window and start talking to him, "Hey Sheriff, I'm gonna be riding home with Scott. He was at the gas station across the street and saw me and offered a ride home. Thank you for dinner, Love you!" 

"All love, see you the next time you appear out of thin air!" He responds, turning the on ignition of the car. 

"Hey, why come she never says that to me?" I listen as Stiles complains to his dad while leaving the parking lot. 

"That's because I'm better than you, son. And I'm the best fake dad to your friends ever." He says, lying in the first sentence, but being serious in the second one.