Parent-Teacher Conference

tw//mentions of abuse

"Stiles!" I throw open his bedroom door, smiling at him. "Best. News. Ever!"

"What is it?" He asks while re-dialing Scott's number on his phone. 

"My parents are getting divorced!" 

"Yay! Oh - what? Congratulations? I'm sorry?" I watch as he cycles through about five different emotions. 

"So after you left, they decided to tell Lydia and I the news while she's still doped up so she doesn't freak out. Then, my dad tried to ask us who we wanna live with, my mom yelled at my dad for asking right away, he tried to hit my mom, so I punched him. Then he punched me - made one hell of a shiner, I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to heal faster - but! Lydia and I are gonna stay at our house with my mom and his sorry ass is getting kicked to the curb!" I explain to him, quickly brushing over the fact that my dad got physical with me. 

"Wait, Maeve, your dad punched you?" Stiles drops his phone, suddenly uninterested in the phone call.

"Yeah...but it's fine though! It's not the first time he's done that or anything so I'm used to it." I explain, hoping Stiles will accept my explanation and move the conversation on to another topic. 

"What?" He yells, walking over to me. He reaches his hand towards my face to move my hair and check for a mark, and I subconsciously move my head away from his hand. 

"Oh my god...that's it. I'm killing him. Where's my bat?" He starts aimlessly pacing around the room, looking for the bat.  

"Stiles!" I grab onto his shoulders and spin him to face me. "It's okay! Really. I rocked his shit." I try to laugh away the problem and hide it behind jokes - a tactic Stiles knows all too well. 

"No, it's not!" He rips his shoulders away from my grasp and starts looking around his room again. 

"Please tell me I'm gonna hear good news at this parent-teacher thing tonight." Sheriff Stilinski's voice travels down the hall towards Stiles' room. He stops at the door frame and stares in, "What's going on?" 

"That fucking asshole. I'm gonna kill him. I swear. You don't just go around doing that to people. I mean, if he does that to Maeve, he's probably done the same to Lydia as well. I will literally bash his head in." Stiles continues muttering under his breath while throwing stuff around in his closet, still looking for the bat. 

"Stiles! Language!" Stiles' snaps his attention to his dad. "Now calm down, and tell me what the issue is." 

"Maeve's dad." Stiles clenches his jaw and looks over to me.

"No, it's nothing." I try to laugh it off. 

"Maeve, what happened to your face?" Stilinski starts walking up to me, and I quickly toss my hair over my left eye. 

"Nothing! It's nothing! You guys are acting crazy." 

"Her dad did it. No more than ten minutes ago." Stiles spills the secret, and I glare at him in shock. 

Sheriff Stilinski is silent for a moment, before taking a deep breath. "Alright. We are filing a police report on that man." 

"No! Guys, listen, please! I hate him as much as you do. But my parents are getting divorced. He's gonna be out of the house tonight. I'm safe. Besides, I stay here or at Scott's most nights. I'm okay."

"Is that why you're never home, Maeve?" I hear Stiles' voice waver a bit.

"No, trust me - I can handle him. You should've seen the right hook I planted on him. I also kicked a few times. And scratched. Look, he may need a few stitches. Anyways, I stay at your guys' house because you're my best friends. But I'm seriously fine. Can we please change the subject?" I tuck my hair behind my ear, but quickly untuck it when I hear Stiles gasp at the bruise that has now healed.