Pack Mentality

Stiles pushes open the large doors of the school and looks over to Scott. 

"So you killed her?"

Scott shrugs, "I don't know. I just woke up. I was sweating like crazy, and I couldn't breathe. I've never had a dream where I woke up like that before."

"Really? I have." Stiles and I respond to his statement at the same time. We look at each other in awe, as if we don't say the same thing at the same time at least once a week. 

"Mine usually end a bit differently though." Stiles adds. 

"Ohhhh gross! I was talking about nightmares!" I say, grimacing at the image that Stiles just put in my mind. 

"Never give me that much detail about you in bed again." Scott glances at me, with a disgusted look plastered across his face. 

"Noted." Stiles nods, before moving onto the next topic. "So anyways, I think I know what this is about."

"You think it's about the date with Allison that caused the dream, huh? You guys think I'm gonna rip her throat out."

Stiles and I exchange glances, hesitating a bit too much before saying, "What? Noooo. Not at all!" 

"Yes, you do think that?" Scott practically whines like a child, trying to get his point across. He slumps his shoulders and slightly pouts. 

"Look Scott, you've been doing pretty good considering the whole.." I throw my hands in front of me and do a scratching movement with them, accompanied by a fake rawr. "It isn't like there is a class on lycanthropy. Then again, I am doing better than you, since - you know, I didn't shift in the middle of the street." I brag. 

If I were to do this with Stiles, it would turn into a full blown competition on who can stay human the longest. With Scott, though, he just accepts it. Scott and I are the type of people who can dish it out and take it, all while not getting too butthurt. It's your typical sibling relationship: He messes up, I help him during that time, and make fun of him about it later. I freak out, he helps me calm down, and then he calls me a nervous wreck two hours after. 

"Yeah, yeah." he says, shaking his head side to side, "there isn't a class, but maybe a teacher." 

"Who, Derek?" Stiles asks, obviously against the idea. 

"Hey, I can get behind that." I smile at the boys, who return the expression with one of disgust. 

"You have got to stop hitting on older guys, Maeve." Stiles reeks of disapproval. "And are you forgetting the part where we got him thrown in jail, or..?" 

I clench my teeth, completely forgetting about the whole 'accidentally framing Derek for murder' thing that we did. I doubt a simple 'oops' will make it up to him. 

"Yeah," Scott lets out long sigh, still visibly distressed by the dream he had. "it just felt so real. As if it actually happened."

Stiles shrugs as we push open the doors of the school that lead outside, and begin heading to a different hall. Immediately, the sight of a taped off crime scene where the buses are catch our attention. There is still blood dripping out of the back of one of the buses, splashing on the ground every few seconds, like a faulty sink faucet. The emergency exit door is hanging on by a thread, almost being fully ripped off. I stare in shock as an investigator takes pictures of the mess. 

I position my body towards Stiles and Scott, who are just as stunned as I am. 

Stiles clears this throat and puts his hand on Scott's shoulder. "I think it did." 

Scott throws his hand over his mouth and runs to the nearest trash can. I stay where I am, as i'd much rather watch a bloody crime scene than someone throwing up. My palms push against my ears with all of their might, guaranteeing that I don't hear Scott's heaving. Even with my ear covered, the sound of the blood dripping from bus is plaguing my thoughts, getting louder and louder. I try to slower my breaths, making sure I don't shift in front of the school. The dripping noise is becoming deafening.

After about two minutes, I feel a hand start softly removing my hands from the sides of my head. Stiles. I try to push my hands back over my ears, as the dripping is still loud as ever. "Maeve, he's fine." Stiles whispers, pulling my hands away. 

The sounds slowly fade away, and I open my eyes to see Stiles standing right in front of me. "I will never understand the fear of vomit." He laughs, pulling me towards the school. 

"It's disgusting and the thought of it nearly makes me die." I say, clearly over-exaggerating. 

I catch up to Scott, who is in the biggest panic I've ever seen. "Wow Scott, it's times like these where people could really believe we're siblings. look!" I point over to him while talking to Stiles, "He even looks like me right now." 

"He really does." Stiles turns his attention to Scott, "I'm sure she's fine."

"She isn't answering my texts, guys."

"This could just be a really amazing coincidence?" I say, knowing he can hear my heart doubt the answer I just gave him. 

"Just help me find her, alright?" He starts frantically looking around the hallways of the school. 

"I don't see her." I say, now looking around just as worried as Scott, realizing that my friend could possibly be the person who got hurt in the bus. 

I watch as Scott runs his hands through his hair, clearly losing his sense of reality. He speeds up while looking for Allison and turns the corner, causing Stiles and I to lose him. 

"Scott?" Stiles looks around to notice that Scott is no longer in sight. 

"uh oh." I take hold of Stiles arm and pull him closer to me, quietly saying something in his ear. "I can hear his heartbeat. He's about to shift." 

I focus my hearing on the now violent heartbeat, pulling Stiles to the sound. We make the corner as Scott slams his fist into a locker, severely denting it. 

"Ooh..." Stiles and I exchange worried glances. 

Scott slowly backs away from the locker that he just broke, and we let go of our breath. "Oh thank god." Stiles says under his breath. 

I ignore his relief and continue looking around for Allison, praying to catch a glimpse of her brown eyes. I see dark brown hair turn the corner and walk into the hall that we are in, colliding with Scott. I mirror Stiles' reaction, "Oh thank god." 

I point to Allison, who was now talking to Scott. 

"Whew! I thought he murdered her." Stiles says, letting out a laugh. 

"Wanna see something even better?" He looks at me, clearly interested in what I have to show him. I move my pointed finger over to the locker that Scott just ruined, to reveal Jackson trying to put it back on it's hinges. "The locker that Scott chose to beat the shit out of is Jackson's locker." 

Jackson catches us staring, now Scott included, and yells, "What are you looking at, asswipes?" 

"You should be more nice to your girlfriend's sister, Jackson." I say, sarcastically smiling. "I can convince her to break up with you with one sentence." 

"Die." He says before slamming his locker door closed, resulting in it falling off and loudly smacking the ground. 

I purse my lips and turn around, trying to not to laugh. Scott and Stiles, on the other hand, have no issue laughing straight in Jackson's face.