A Departing Battle

Ryuga's POV

Ryuga lied awake in bed, the events of earlier still playing in his mind. Only a few hours ago, King decided to go back to his hotel and Ryuga went with him to walk him there.

"It's not safe to be out alone after dark," Ryuga had insisted.

It wasn't a lie. Being out after dark was unsafe. Of course, Ryuga knew King could defend himself, he just wanted to be sure. In a short amount of time, King had become one of the most important people in Ryuga's life, he didn't feel like denying that to himself anymore. King always lifted his spirits and understood him better than anyone.

Ryuga could barely believe how much he trusted him. The realization that King would be leaving Japan, the reminder he didn't live here, Ryuga had to bury his grief in that moment as to not further upset King. Now with nothing to distract him it was all he could think about. *I'll see him again,* Ryuga insisted. *He'll visit sometime again and I'll be able to talk to him on the phone until then.* The ache in his heart persisted through the night.

"Ryuga..." That was his- or, Kenta's mother's voice, though it sounded fuzzy and distant.

Ryuga grunted, blinking his eyes open. "It can't be morning already..." he grumbled, resting his hand on his forehead.

"Well, it is... ten in the morning to be exact." Ryuga stiffened. He stumbled to his feet, leaning on the wall. "What's the crisis this time?"

Ryuga glanced at Kenta's mother. "What are you on about?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

Kenta's mom shrugged. "The only times you don't sleep well are when you're having a crisis of some sort. At least... that's the pattern so far."

Ryuga froze, a shiver running down his spine.

"Nothing's wrong with me," he growled, glaring at the ground.

"I didn't say that, sweetie."

Kenta's mom took a step toward him. Ryuga quickly brushed past her, his head hung low as he made his way up the stairs. He pushed the door open. Kenta and his dad were sitting on the couch, the former on his phone and the latter reading a book.

"Hey, Ryuga." Kenta perked up at the sight of him. "I was wondering when you'd-"

"Rematch. Noon. Coliseum," Ryuga cut him off, throwing together his challenge as he went to get his phone.

"Got it," Kenta replied without question.

Ryuga quickly sent King a text saying the same thing, letting his phone fix the numerous spelling mistakes he likely made. He wasn't really paying attention. Putting his phone down, he poured himself some orange juice. Ryuga leaned against the wall in the kitchen as he chugged the drink like the world was ending.

"Ryuga..." Kenta's dad was gazing at him with worry in his eyes.

"I'm fine," Ryuga insisted, only now realizing how ridiculous he probably looked.

"I... sort of doubt that..."

"Ryuga, please," Kenta's mom added, stepping into the kitchen. "We're here for you. What's going on?"

Both of them gazed at him from a distance. Ryuga looked away. *If I tell you, you won't be.* He struggled to come up with something, anything to say to get them to stop asking. They couldn't find out. If they did... Ryuga forced himself to stop himself from shivering.

"Oh, Ryuga, are you really this stressed about the battle?" Kenta sighed, dipping his head.

"N-no...?" Ryuga stared at him in confusion until it hit him: *He's giving me a way out of this...* "Don't be silly," he added, narrowing his eyes at him.