Partner Troubles

King's POV

"Go Variares!"

"L-Drago!"

The two beys flew through the air side by side like a pair of swans, crashing into the boulder at the same time. Upon impact, the huge rock instantly split into pieces. King instinctively shielded his face. Pebbles landed all around Ryuga and King, none of them hitting them. King looked up. Variares and L-Drago were spinning side by side on the other side of the rocky remains.

"Woo!" King cheered, holding his hand up for a high five.

Ryuga rolled his eyes. "We've done this a million times, King."

"And it's cool every time!" King insisted, still waiting for his high five. "Work with me, will ya?"

Ryuga sighed. However, he finally returned the high five. King inwardly squealed. He and Ryuga had registered for the tournament that morning and had spent most of the day training together. Ryuga's idea of training could be a little intense but it was fun nonetheless.

"King!" Masamune's voice suddenly called. King looked up. His friend was dashing toward him, a frantic look on his face. "There you are! Are you free?"

King gestured to Ryuga. "What do you think?" he asked, not taking his eyes off Masamune.

"Please?!" Masamune's eyes were huge and there was a note of desperation in his voice. "I really need your help!"

King let out a sigh, snatching up his bey. "What is it?"

Masamune looked away. "I... I need a partner." King gestured to Ryuga again. "I mean I need your help finding a partner. I've asked around but Gingka's already teaming with Kenta, Tsubasa and Yu are a team, Zeo and Toby-"

"What about Kyoya?" King suggested. It was an ambitious idea, but not completely out there.

"He's with Benkei," Ryuga replied, crushing King's hopes.

"Ugh, see what I mean?!" Masamune exclaimed, pacing in small circles in front of them. "All the good ones are taken and there's only one spot left in the tournament! I have to find someone!"

"We'll ask around town," King turned to Ryuga. "Ryuga, wanna meet up later today?" he suggested, with a smile.

Ryuga dipped his head.

"Great, thanks." King nodded to him before turning back to Masamune. "Let's go."

"Thank you so much, King." Masamune smiled at him.

King shrugged. "No problem, man. To be honest, Ryuga and I needed to take a break anyways. That guy doesn't know when to quit sometimes."

"Or he's just stronger than you," Masamune replied with a smirk.

King's eyes narrowed. "Excuse me?!"

Masamune just giggled into his hand. King nudged him. Masamune nudged him back. The two of them continued through the city, looking for anyone and everyone who could've been a blader. A clashing sound suddenly echoed in the distance. King perked up. The sound repeated again and again like the beat of a drum.

"Hey, that sounds like a battle!" Masamune exclaimed, charging in the direction of the sound. King trailed after him.

They made their way to the top of an incline, with a hill leading down to a bey stadium. Four people King had never seen before stood around it. On one side, stood a dark-haired girl wearing pink and a much taller boy with a stream of dark hair. On the other side, were two more boys: one with scruffy brown hair and the other with purple hair pulled into an immaculate braid. Their four beys travelled around the stadium in two separate formations. When the two pairs crossed paths, they sent up sparks as they began clashing with each other.