Return of the King

(Author's note: Yes, this pun was incredibly obvious and no, I haven't read or seen Lord of Rings.)

Ryuga's POV

"Libra! Sonic Shield!" Yu called out.

Flickers of green light appeared around Libra and Eagle. Before L-Drago and Sagittario could reach them, the flickers materialized into a sphere of energy around the two beys. Ryuga and Kenta's beys scraped off the ball of energy. They spun in opposite directions around the stadium as the shield around Eagle and Libra disappeared.

"Yeah!" Yu exclaimed, throwing his hand in the air. "It finally worked!" He held his hand out, catching Libra as it flew toward him.

"Good job, Yu!" Kenta replied, snatching up his bey as well.

Ryuga and Tsubasa did the same.

Yu smiled. "Thanks for helping us practice for the tournament," he replied, putting his bey away.

"You two would make a really good team," Tsubasa added, nodding to Ryuga and Kenta.

"They would," Yu agreed with a shrug. "But Ryuga's totally gonna pair with King."

"If he ever gets here," Ryuga grunted. It had been a few months since King left and he'd said nothing about coming back even though the tag team tournament was in a few days now.

"And I've agreed to be on a team with Gingka," Kenta added with a shrug.

"Fine, fine," Yu replied, "But you two really gotta consider teaming some other time."

"Apparently Ryuga can't team with anyone that doesn't have a left rotating bey," Tsubasa replied, his voice thick with sarcasm.

"That's not why..." Kenta started to protest.

Ryuga glared at him in a warning. Across from them, Yu was giving Kenta the "cut it out" signal.

"Why then?" Tsubasa asked, raising an eyebrow.

Kenta looked away. "Uh, nevermind."

"Anyways, thanks for training with us," Yu cut in swiftly. "We really appreciate it!" He started to walk toward the exit to the coliseum, gesturing for Tsubasa to follow.

"No problem, Yu!" Kenta replied, clearly forcing a smile. He went around the stadium and walked to Yu's side. Ryuga trailed after them.

"We still on for GX tomorrow?" Yu asked.

"Of course!" Kenta exclaimed, with a smile. "I want to see the end of season three! It's been so crazy..." His smile faded and he shivered a little.

"That's what makes it fun," Ryuga remarked, with a smile.

Kenta let out an exasperated sigh. "Why do you only like Yugioh when it's messed up?"

Ryuga shrugged. Maybe it made him sound terrible, but the show was the most interesting when it was dark and messed up.

Yu chuckled. "See you then, guys!"

He and Tsubasa walked away, waving. Kenta waved back. Ryuga gazed at L-Drago. His bey had several scratches on its fusion wheel. He rolled his eyes. Ryuga hadn't had many intense battles lately, he'd mostly spent the last few months training, mostly on his own but sometimes with Kenta and Yu. *Where did these scratches even come from?* He started to make his way toward the bey shop.

"Where you off to Ryuga?" Kenta asked, remaining at Ryuga's side. Ryuga showed him the scratched up L-Drago. "Oh... meet you back home?"

Ryuga dipped his head.