Chapter 7

The day progressed normally, Brigitta and Louisa set their stuff in the cabin and spent the day apart doing their separate activities.

Yet when night came they were forced to be together in the cabin for the first extended period of time, which made the tension thicker than it already was.

Louisa wasn't really in the mood to deal with Bri so she simply asked "Can we just agree not to talk for the week, camp's almost over anyway, and I don't want to deal with this anymore" She gestured between the two of them before plopping on her bed.

Brigitta pondered this, but knew deep down this was going to be even more miserable if they continued being petty. Plus, she didn't know if she could handle not speaking, at least if they were arguing she had company.

"Well we're stuck in here for a while so you might as well get used to it" Brigitta said from her bed.

Louisa turned her back and popped an airpod in her ear, even though she had no phone battery.

Brigitta hopped off her bed and walked over, before plucking it out of her ear "I'm not stupid, I know it's not on"

Louisa sat up and snatched it out of the brunette's hand. "How did you know?"

"I do the same thing, except I don't have airpods, I have the knock off ones form Walmart" Brigitta giggled

Louisa smiled a bit and tossed the headphone up before catching it.

"Do you want a snack? I have Oreos and Peanut butter?" Brigitta asked, walking back over to the side of the room and grabbing a backpack off a hook before tossing it on the ground and rummaging through its contents. Maria and her mother always emphasized how much sharing could make a difference, especially food. It also never hurt to have snacks one liked on hand

"Uh... yeah sure" Louisa joined the almost ten year old on the floor as she ripped open the package "I didn't know that anyone else liked Oreos and peanut butter" Louisa admitted

"I love it, my sisters don't though. Gretl says it sticks to her mouth too much" Brigitta laughed a bit at the memory of her sister not being able to talk for ten glorious minutes.

"You sound like you get along with your sisters really well" Louisa smiled softly as she dipped the cookie into a jar of peanut butter.

"I'm the oldest, I feel responsible." Brigitta said as she scooped some peanut butter onto her cookie

"I wish, my sister is the oldest and she tries to act so grown up to me and my brothers, but she's not." Louisa rambled

"I don't think so, whenever Marta talks about her she never says she acts like that. She says Liesl feels like a big sister" Brigitta shrugged "But your brothers seem cool"

"Yeah, we fight but they're the best." Louisa rolled her eyes at her vulnerability, but she really did love her brothers.

"I wish I had brothers," Brigitta said, covering her mouth to hide her chewing.

"I wish I had little sisters, then I could be the boss," Louisa giggled as she grabbed a blanket from off the bed behind her and wrapped herself up in it.

"You never know." Brigitta said

"Yeah I do." Louisa paused, tossing an Oreo back into the pack. Brigitta finished chewing and sat intent, willing to listen. "My mom died a while ago, and my brothers think dad's got a new girlfriend and I bet she doesn't want kids."

"I'm sorry, I'm sure your sister has told you that I don't have a mom either" Brigitta said and the two girls smiled softly. Brigitta changed the subject before the mood could get anymore depressing "but man, I'd do anything to live out in the country like you. Liesl said you have horses"