Chapter 31

"What do you mean camping? Like, in tents, with sleeping bags?" Elsa asked from a chair in the living room. She had come over the next afternoon and Georg, Maria and the kids pitched the idea to her. Georg and Maria were thrilled that the kids seemed much more enthused about Elsa going today rather than their reaction of disgruntled uncertainty the prior evening.

"Well, yeah that's kind of what camping is?" Georg sat in the chair across from her. Maria and a few of the children were on the sectional, while Kurt and Marta were on their knees in front of the coffee table playing go fish. Max and Ellen watched with amused grins from the kitchen at the chaotic awkwardness of it all.

"Well, would all of them go, Georg?" She asked about the children as if they weren't even in the room, which frustrated him greatly. Liesl rolled her eyes and received a glare from Maria who explained "it would only be the older five, Marta and Gretl would stay back with me and get some special time together before I leave."

"When exactly are you leaving?" It took all of Elsa's self-control not to jump in the air.

"Oh I leave on Friday, only four days left." Maria grimaced.

"It would only be overnight, and the campsite isn't even that far away." Friedrich tried to convince Elsa, she had to come in order for the plans to work.

Max couldn't help himself "I think it's a fabulous idea Elsa, you're always saying you are always wanting to get in touch with nature." he received a playful smack from Ellen,

"Well I mean if it really means that much to you," she addressed Georg "and I'm sure Gretl and Marta could use the extra time with Maria before the week is up, when do we leave?" she clasped her hands together awkwardly.

"Tomorrow morning," Liesl answered.

"Okay," Elsa stood up "okay okay," and began to walk aimlessly "I think it would be just fine, after all maybe it would be good to bond with...you all." She looked towards the kids before taking Georg by surprise and leaning down to kiss him. Maria felt her stomach churn, so did Georg in all honesty. The kids withheld from gagging, except for Kurt who let out a large "ewwww".

The next morning bright and early as promised the kids were dressed and ready to go, each having a backpack, while Marta and Gretl were disappointed they didn't mind the extra time with Maria. She had promised to do all of their favorite things with them.

Georg was throwing all of the backpacks into the trunk of his car as the kids helped pile the coolers and tents in every nook and cranny of empty space left.

Maria and the little girls stood outside, Maria helping situate everything when Elsa and Max pulled up.

"Hi Max!" the little girls ran to him as he stepped out of the car. Elsa walked around wearing the most put together camping outfit Maria had ever seen, a matching tank and leggings set and crisp tennis shoes.

"Hello." She walked over to Georg and handed him her large backpack.

"Oh crap my hair got stuck on the leg chair and my braid came out!" Brigitta complained and Maria motioned her over towards the car and Maria leaned against it as she redid Bri's braids,

"Seems like you all are almost done, but I only see-" Elsa was growing concerned by the minute.

"Don't worry we've got it all under control." Georg assured her before peering around the trunk before sharing an already annoyed look with Maria, making Brigitta giggle, only to receive a tighter yank on her head.

Once the trunk was closed the kids said goodbye to Ellen and Max. They each hugged Maria as Georg knelt to the little girls, once the groups switched Georg stood in front of Maria.