Chapter 61

"So," I said, reaching around to clip my bra back on. "I think I've waited long enough to ask-," I turned to face Zach who lay across the bed, completely naked with a grin on his face, "- where the hell are we?"

He laughed, reaching up to do the clasp of my bra up after watching me struggle for a moment. "That is a long story."

I turned and reached up to capture his lips in mine. "I'm all ears. I think I should know who's bed we just had sex in."

He smirked, sliding his hands down my waist and resting them on my hips. "I guess so," he muttered, burying his face in the crook of my neck. "Alright, get dressed, I won't be able to concentrate otherwise."

I giggled and found the rest of my clothing and tossed Zach his boxers and t-shirt. I moved to sit in front of him, my back to his chest and sighed contentedly. "I'm ready."

He chuckled. "Okay," he said with a nod. "Well after I took you back to the pack doctors, I spoke to everyone and got completely caught up on what was going on. There were humans attacking the territory - angry people that wanted us dead. Over the next week or so, the numbers grew and their weapons became more and more deadly."

I frowned, horrified to even imagine my territory as a war zone. I'd witnessed it in that state several times before, however to think that my unconscious body was somewhere amongst it with my unborn child tucked away in my stomach and all my loved ones being responsible for the two of us made me queasy.

I had intended to give up my position as pack leader, unwilling to bare the burden of the responsibility. It had never actually occurred to me to consider what it would be like to put my life and the lives of the people I love into the hands of someone else.

"We started to evacuate people," Zach continued when I said nothing, too lost in my own thoughts. "We started with families, getting all the children out of danger. Some pack members went with them, parents, protection. They started to search for somewhere safe. Once they found a remote corner to hide out in, we moved you and the baby and gradually started moving other pack members."

I frowned as he continued. "Eventually we started moving possessions and cars and money and gathered materials to rebuild elsewhere. The territory wasn't safe anymore and we needed to get away for good, it was safer for everyone than trying to fight. It was a long few months of travelling back and forth, building a home here while trying to protect what was left of the one we had in Ridgeview. Towards the end, there weren't many of us left there."

He sighed and took my hands in his. "We were leaving, gathering the last of our pack and the last of our things when they flew over the territory and bombed it."

At that, I bolted upright, staring up at my husband with wide eyes. "Was everyone okay? Did they all make it out?"

Tears filled his eyes and he shook his head. "I tried to get as many of them out as possible. Me and Ryder and Chris were leading the way, we were knocked off our feet but avoided injury... the rest were behind and so many of them were only feet from where it went off."

"Zach?" I questioned, reaching for his cheek. "What happened? How many people did we lose?"

"About fifty," he muttered in defeat, "I was responsible for them and I let them down."

I shook my head. "No," I stated, "it wasn't your fault, you weren't responsible for anyone, I was. If anyone let the pack down it was me. I let them down over and over again."

He frowned, pulling my face towards his. "They told me you quit? Why would you do that? Being Alpha of the pack is what you always wanted."

"I failed," I told him, allowing my tears to fall as I admitted the one thing that haunted me more than anything to the man I loved more than anyone. "I couldn't protect you. You're my husband and you died because I failed. How can I protect a whole pack when I couldn't even protect the people I love?"