Chapter 2

It took the whole night and the next morning to make sure everyone was accounted for and finally, at around midday, I slumped off with my best friends with my eyes unable to stay open.

Other than the few who had major injuries, everyone was ok and there was no serious damage done by the explosion. Nevertheless, I was exhausted and feeling particularly guilty and didn't want to go home to an empty house.

As soon as I had gotten a quiet moment, I called Zach and asked about his search. "We are following a new lead," he told me. His tone indicated that he wasn't taking the lack of answers well.

We chatted for a little while about the different places he had been. "What's going on at home then?" He finally asked me and I hesitated. I knew I couldn't tell him about the bomb, not while he was struggling to find his brother. He had enough to worry about and it would be selfish to add to it.

So I lied.

I told him that everything was fine and then caught up with my friends who were making their way to Ryders.

For a few hours, we slouched around watching movies and munching on snacks but we had been up all night so everyone was exhausted. "Are you sure you don't want to go?" Ryder asked me as I stifled another yawn. I shook my head in response, burying my head further into his surprisingly soft chest and sighing.

"M'good," I mumbled.

"How are Zach and Liam?" Lexi asked me, sprawled across the floor, partially underneath the coffee table.

"Fine, they are still searching," I told her. Alexia hadn't had much contact with Liam while he had been gone so all her information on their whereabouts came from me.

Knowing we were cousins had changed things a little. On the one hand, we had always been good friends and knowing she was family gave me a sense of security. But the man that wanted to ruin my life was her dad and Lexi had always wanted her dad to come back for her. I couldn't be sure if push came to shove she would be able to fight against him.

She nodded but didn't bother to reply and a pregnant silence filled the room. That was partly due to the fact nobody knew what to say, but also because most of my friends were asleep.

Liv was practically crushing Olly and snoring - rather loudly - on his chest. Meanwhile, Olly himself was partly hanging off the sofa and had a trail of drool down his chin.

I was curled up between Ryder and Jordan, leaning against Ryder while my other best friend rested her head in my lap, the three of us were awake but barely.

Caroline was texting Mason off in the corner, not bothering to participate in the conversation at all and beside her, Blake had drifted off not long after the twins.

Which left Lexi, spread like a starfish on the floor, silently staring at the ceiling.

"Those people got hurt because of me," I whispered against Riders shirt, finally admitting the fact that had plagued my mind since the first explosion went off.

Ryder tightened his hold on me. "No, it wasn't your fault," he said reassuringly. There was so much strength in his voice, if I hadn't have known the truth, I would have believed him.

"Yes, it was. Rick sent that to scare me, it was meant to make me give in. Its my fault they are hurt."

"No, its Ricks fault. He sent the bomb, there was nothing you could have done," Jordan whispered, reaching up to clasp my hand.

"Exactly," Ryder said in agreement, with a certain finality in his tone. I smiled and squeezed Jordans hand before closing my eyes and drifting off - not having the strength to fight against them.