Chapter 35

My first day back running the pack after my honeymoon with Zach was not exactly how I expected it to go. I spent the majority of the morning reading through complaints or requests that had been made during my week off, noting down all of the things I needed to get sorted.

I then spent an hour or so on the phone to different pack members, giving out orders for them to fix this or collect that or check on something. When I finally paused at around two o'clock, my stomach was growling for food and the office was littered with paper work.

Zach suddenly entered, two plates of salad in his hands. "Lunch break," he told me, lowering one of the plates onto the desk in front of me.

"Thanks," I answered quickly, smiling at how amazing my husband was before diving into the meal.

I'd managed to pretty much finish the whole plate of salad before the phone began to ring, an unknown number appearing on the screen. The system was set up to recognise numbers from within the pack but this one wasn't, meaning someone else was trying to contact me.

"I need to get this," I mumbled, shooting Zach and apologetic look and dropping my fork before picking up the phone. "Hello?"

Zach watched as I frowned, listening to the person on the other end of the line. With every new fact, my frown deepened and when the conversation had finally ended, I couldn't figure out if I was heartbroken or fuming.

"What's going on?" Zach asked as I placed the phone down, shaking my head.

"Another pack has gone to war with humans, they were attacked earlier today," I explained solemnly. "They've asked us to help them restore the territory."

He frowned. "Why?"

"The Alpha was close friends with my dad, they're an ally. They've helped us a few times, including when Dean came last year." With a heavy sigh, I got up from my chair and stepped closer to him until his arms came around me. "I need to call Tyler and then put a team of people together to go over there."

"I'm coming," he insisted immediately- hardly surprising.

"You're head of pack security, this packs security, I kind of need you here," I told him but he was already shaking his head.

"I'm coming with you."

I sighed again, looking up into his beautiful, hard eyes. There was no chance of him backing down and if I was perfectly honest, I wanted him with me when I walked straight into a war zone. "Okay," I said with a nod, "then we need to find someone to stay here and keep an eye on things."

He simply nodded and kissed my forehead gently before I stepped back out of his arms and dialled the phone. I didn't waste any time explaining the situation to Tyler, giving him a brief summary of the situation and hearing his instant thoughts on what we should do.

We arranged to meet outside so I took Zachs hand in mine, kissed him gently on the lips and then we both silently made our way out the door. A look of concentration sprawled across Tylers face and his gaze was fixed on the pavement beneath him, meaning he didn't notice us until Zach cleared his throat.

"Sorry," he muttered with a shake of his head. "I was just thinking of who should go with us."

I nodded. "I think we need a few protection wolves with us and some to stay here," I told him.

"I agree." With a quick dial on his phone, the doors to all the homes in the inner circle swung open and the wolves that lived there stepped out, ready for whatever we were about to tell them.

Tyler explained the situation to them quickly and we were soon splitting them into two groups, leaving us with 8 wolves.

"What's going on?" A voice called from behind us when we were preparing to leave and I turned to see Dean watching me expectantly.