Chapter 33

Seeing Zach with tears in his eyes made my heart ache and my own eyes sting with tears that threatened to fall. I strode towards him and held his face in my hands while he steadied his breathing. "I'm not leaving," I promised.

"Please come back inside," he begged, reaching up and placing his hands over mine and cupping his face. "Please."

I nodded, letting him lead me back into the house and away from any prying eyes. Once the door was closed, he moved into the office and I followed, sealing us inside the soundproof room and watching as he sunk onto the sofa.

"I'm sorry," he repeated, burying his face in his hands. "I'm sorry Ella."

I slowly moved to sit beside him and ran my hands through his hair. "It's okay," I told him. "Just please let me be here for you, like you always are for me."

He moved to rest his head against my chest and sighed. "I don't want you to see me weak," he muttered, hiding his face from me.

I tucked my finger under his chin and raised it so he was looking at me. "I don't think you're weak," I told him, leaning down to capture his lips. I kissed him softly, needing him to know that I was right next to him. When I pulled away, I sighed. "And it shouldn't matter, I'm your wife Zach, I want you to talk to me."

He smiled and grabbed my waist, manoeuvring us so we were lay side by side along the sofa, our hands joined in between us. "I am so in love with you," he mumbled against my neck.

"So am I," I whispered, wrapping my arms around him while he did the same and holding him as close to me as I could.

****

We lay together on the sofa for several hours, not speaking, just holding each other. The only sound I could hear was the steady beat of his heart and the occasional sniff.

"You know I love you," I whispered, breaking the silence.

"I know," he answered instantly, shuffling so he was facing me. His hand moved to brush some hair out of my face and then rested on the side of my cheek. "I love you too, so much."

"Good." I stared at him for a while, waiting for him to continue talking but he simply gazed back.

"You want me to talk about it don't you," he grumbled, reaching down to my waist and turning me so my back was to him.

"No... you don't have to," I answered unconvincingly.

He took a deep breath and curled his arms tighter around me before exhaling loudly. "I should've known that it was bad the second I saw it really was her," he said and I could tell he was talking through clenched teeth. "It's not like she would have faked her death and stayed away for nearly ten years because she loved me."

I frowned, not knowing what to say in response but he continued anyway. "And she was right, she wasn't really interested when I was a kid, it was always my dad that took care of me."

I reached down and clung onto both of his hands. "But I wasn't ready to hear that my mother didn't love me," he said in a shaky voice.

"I'm sorry," I told him, squeezing both of his hands.

"It's not your fault," he responded, tugging me closer.

"I was the one that tried to get you to go down there," I mumbled. "I'm sorry, I just thought... if it was my mom that was alive after all this time...," I trailed off, not needing to explain any further.

"It's okay baby," he said, kissing the top of my head. "I wish it had been your mom, thats how it should've been."

I rolled back over onto my other side so I could see him once again and reached up to flick away a single tear that rested on his cheek. "Or your dad," I said, leaning up to kiss him.

"Mmm." He kissed me back, holding my waist tightly while our lips moved together in synchrony. He pulled away and smiled. "He would've liked you," he told me, running his thumb over my bottom lip.

"I think I would've liked him too."

He nodded, a smile crossing his face. "I am really sorry about earlier," he said, twiddling with the wedding ring on my left hand.

I smiled before reaching up and pecking his lips. "You can make it up to me later," I teased.

He grinned. "I promise," he said, kissing me back once again before shuffling away and raising to his feet. "But now I'm hungry," he muttered, taking my hand and pulling me off the sofa.

I followed him silently as he lead me into the kitchen and sunk onto the bar stool with a sigh. "Whats wrong?" He asked, eyeing me with confusion.

"Nothing," I told him, forcing a smile onto my face.

"Try again," he said, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

I bit my lip to stop the smirk and shook my head. "Its nothing," I repeated with a shrug, "I just feel like I should be doing something."

"Doing something?"

"Yeah... I don't know how to make you feel better," I muttered with another sigh. "Does that make me a terrible wife?"

"Don't be silly," he answered with a shake of his head before moving to stand behind me. He swivelled around me so I was facing him and smiled softly. "First of all, you already made me feel better, just being next to you makes me feel better."

He leaned in and pressed a soft kiss to my lips, gently coaxing them apart with his tongue before deepening the kiss. When he pulled away, his eyes were a musty yellow. "And secondly, you're an amazing wife."

"I really do love you," I told him while he moved back to the worktop and began to chop ingredients.

He chuckled and continued to fry the vegetables until we had two large plates of stir fry. "Wow, it looks amazing," I mumbled, shuffling onto the sofa and throwing a blanket around my shoulders.

Zach sunk into the space beside me, both plates in his hands before he handed one to me. "Thank you," I said, kissing his lips.

He grinned and switched on the tv, pulling the blanket tighter around both of us. "I really don't want this week to end," he grumbled, digging into the food.

"Me neither... but when it does," I said, turning to look up at him, "don't forget you had a job offer."

He nodded. "I remember."

"And have you thought about it? I didn't want to pressure you but..."

I looked up at him with hopeful eyes and he grinned. "I'm thinking about it," he said, swooping down to kiss my lips before I could say anything.

His lips were warm and soft against mine and I melted into him, forgetting what we were talking about, forgetting where we were or what was going outside of our own little bubble. It was just me and him right now.

"Lets enjoy the rest of our honeymoon before we have to go back to our crazy, and extremely busy, version of normality," he mumbled against my lips as he pulled away.

All I could do was nod in agreement, knowing he was right. Once this week was over, I would go back to running the pack and we would start our marriage.