Chapter 9

I startled at the ringing sound that resonated through the house, raising my head slowly to take in my surroundings. I was still lay across the sofa with my head resting on Zach's lap while he slouched back, his head tilted down to face me and his eyes fluttering open.

"Hey," I grumbled, rubbing my eyes with my fists.

"Hey baby, how're you feeling?" He asked, reaching down to tuck my hair behind my ear and brushing his thumb across my cheek.

"Better," I said, "but I'm sleepy."

He smiled softly and pressed his lips to my forehead. The ringing sound once again echoed around us and I groaned, pulling myself up into a sitting position.

On the table, my phone vibrated and I reached over to grab it. "Hello?" I answered groggily, shuddering when Zach's hands stroked lightly up and down my waist.

"Why the hell haven't I heard about the fact you were nearly murdered this morning?" My fathers voice bellowed down the phone.

I pulled it away from my ear, wincing as he continued to yell. "Ok, ok I get it, you're mad," I grumbled, "look, I just woke up and I didn't really have time to call you up for a chat earlier."

"Were you ever planning on telling me?" He snapped back and I sighed.

"I'm ok, its healed," I told him, avoiding the question.

"Ella!" He growled.

"How did you even know?" I asked him. Behind me, Zach pressed his lips into the crook of my neck and I had to bite my lip to keep from moaning.

"I have people keeping an eye on you Ella," Dean said.

"What!" I yelled, sitting upright and brushing Zach's hands off me. "You're kidding right?"

"No, I'm not Ella. I wanted to make sure you were safe, especially with Zach's brother living with you," he snapped. "What if he finds out who you are?"

My eyes widened and I bit my lip, turning to see Zach frowning down at me. He shot me his daring look and I sighed. "He already knows," I mumbled under my breath, pulling the phone away from my ear when more yells crackled through the speaker.

"-ON MY WAY RIGHT NOW!" I heard as I put it back to my ear and I froze. I groaned as the beep indicated the call ended and flopped backwards against Zach's chest.

"He's on his way," I huffed, burying my face in his shirt. I sunk into his hold and sighed. "He has someone spying on me," I grumbled.

"Of course he does." Zach shook his head and curled his arms tighter around me. "Are you sure you're ok?" He asked, slipping his hands into mine.

I nodded, resting my cheek on his chest. "Yeah, I'm fine," I promised.

"One day, I promise you this will all be over and nobody will ever hurt you," he assured me, leaning closer and tightening his hold on me.

I glanced up to face him and pressed my forehead to his. "I know you won't ever let me get hurt," I said, "and I hope you are right. Just promise me you won't let yourself get hurt."

"I'll try," he said softly, pressing his lips gently against mine. "You were right," he mumbled against my skin, "you've healed."

He raised his hand and brushed a single finger gently across the stitches on my neck. "I can get rid of these if you want me to," he offered, still with his lips hovering over mine.

"Later," I whispered, reaching over to close the gap between us and claiming his mouth. His warm lips closed over mine and he held me against him while his hands dropped back down to my waist.