Chapter 37

"Oh my god!" I shot towards the body on the ground, moving her blood coated hair away from her face and placing a hand on her chest.

Slashes littered her body, clearly from a wolfs claws and the amount of blood seeping out of them was alarming. I waited with baited breath until finally I felt a small thud beneath my palm. "She's breathing," I sighed in relief, turning to Zach.

Behind him, the girl was edging away from us with wide eyes. "It's okay," I told her, rising to my feet. "You're safe, I promise."

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she stumbled backwards even further, fear shining in her eyes. "Please no," she whispered, her voice cracking.

The poor girl couldn't have been older than six and her whole body quivered when I took another step towards her. "Please leave me alone," she begged, letting out a heavy sob.

"Shh, I promise I'm not going to hurt you," I assured her, holding up my hands.

"You're a werewolf," she mumbled through her tears. "I saw your eyes."

"I am a werewolf," I told her, nodding my head while slowly edging closer. "But I promise I am not going to hurt you, I want to help. Is this your mom?" I asked.

"Don't hurt her anymore!" She pleaded, running past me and dropping to her knees beside the woman. "Please mommy, please wake up."

I met Zach's eyes and felt my heart break a little. Slowly, I kneeled down beside the girl who was too busy shaking her mothers shoulder to notice and placed my palm on arm. "Please let me help her," I begged softly.

She looked between me, Zach and her mother for a moment, clearly conflicted before nodding her head.

I smiled in relief. "My names Ella," I told her, squeezing her arm gently.

"I'm Maisie," she mumbled, turning back to her mom and letting out a sob. "Please don't let her leave me."

"Is there a hospital near here?" I asked her and she nodded, wiping the tears from her eyes.

"Its far," she murmured.

"That's okay, lets go then." I raised to my feet and turned to Zach who was already one step ahead. He bent down and carefully scooped up the woman, making sure she was resting comfortably in his arms. "Which way?" I asked Maisie who pointed a tiny finger towards a pathway at the edge of the clearing.

Zach was already off, running at a steady pace so as not to jostle the woman. Meanwhile, I knelt down. "Piggyback?" I asked Maisie who climbed up before I sprinted after Zach and overtook him to lead the way.

At every crossroad she pointed in the direction she wanted to me to go and we ran as fast as possible until we entered the town and there were too many people around.

The hospital was just down the road from where we entered the town and Zach pushed his way through crowds of people until he was bursting through the doors and calling for doctors.

"What happened?" I heard a male voice ask before I pushed through some people to see doctors surrounding them. "Those werewolves?" He asked. "I knew we should've killed them."

We followed closely behind, choosing to stay silent, while they took her into a small private room and lay her down. Instantly they were poking and prodding, cleaning up blood and stitching up wounds.

We were pushed out of the room while they worked and told to take a seat until they knew more. I slumped down on one side of a trembling Maisie while Zach sat on her other side. I knew there was nothing I could say to her that would make any of this better so I simply held her small, shaky hand while we waited.