Chapter Eight - Where My Demons Hide

March 20th, 2015

The song for this is Demons. :) You'll find out why later on. I like the version that Sam Tsui, Max Schneider, and Kurt Hugo Schneider did. :) I find it even more emotional than the original, which I love. Listen to it while you're reading the chapter! It'll add to the effect.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Eight

I didn't want to be in the drop ship tonight, but I didn't want to be near Bellamy either. So I walked out further in the camp and sat down near the wall that was slowly being built. I made sure that I was on the inside of the camp, but as far away from it as possible. 

I began to sharpen the axe that I had made a few days ago, the sound beginning to take my mind off of everything. 

"Why aren't you with everyone else?" I heard a familiar voice ask from beside me. 

I looked over to see Murphy walking over to me. 

I simply shrugged my shoulders, kind of hoping that he would leave me be. But he didn't. Instead, he sat down right beside me. 

"I'm sorry." He said, and I sighed.

"Stop saying that." I ordered, shaking my head at him. 

"Why?" He asked, frowning.

"Because it makes me think that there might be a bit of good and kindness in you. You give me false hope, then the next thing I know, you try to kill someone." I said, not caring about the look of hurt that came onto his face. 

Okay, maybe I cared a little.

"I'm not good. Never have been, never will be." Murphy sighed, turning his attention from me towards the fire that crackled about ten feet in front of us. "You should remember that."

I sighed lightly. "Can you just tell me why? Why you have such a short temper? Why you're always angry? Why you're..." I trailed off, biting my lip. 

He looked back at me. "Why I'm like you?"

I nodded slowly. 

He took out his knife, sharpening it with one of my rocks that I had gathered beside me. "When I was a kid, I got the flu. My dad stole medicine that wouldn't have even worked anyway. He got floated for it. My mom started drinking way too much. The night that she died, laying in a pool of her own vomit, she told me that I killed my father."

He turned back to look at me, and even in the dim lighting, I could see the tears in his eyes. 

He had struggled to tell me, but he did it anyway. 

I felt my eyes getting moist, and I wiped at them before looking at him again.

He took a deep breath before continuing. "What about you? Why are you like this?"

I needed to be honest with him. "Unlike you, I actually did kill my father. Well, I got as close to killing him as I could get."

He furrowed his eyebrows. That usually wasn't the normal response... People usually stared at me like they were afraid, or practically ran away and didn't wait for me to explain. But not him... He looked like he just wanted to hear my reason why.

"He was always abusive to us, but he was friends with most of the guards, so he could get away with it easily. No one ever told. When I was seven, he came to our room drunk. He hit my mother, and I his in the closet. I wasn't afraid of him at all. He left, and my mom went to the infirmary. I broke my life-sized doll, and used the metal poles to make a knife. When they both came back, I stabbed him in the shoulder. They took him to the infirmary, and were going to take him into surgery when my mom told them what happened. They floated him half an hour later, while he was still bleeding so much that he was about to faint every five seconds. They put me in the skybox, and my mother overdosed on pills because she couldn't deal with the fact that she had lost us. Her husband was dead, and she knew as well as I that I was likely going to be floated too. So she killed herself."

He had a blank expression on his face, so I continued.

"The way you talked about Octavia got me thinking. If you think that she's a psycho... Then what does that make me?"   I asked, feeling the tears form in my eyes. "I mean, if she's insane for wanting to protect her friend, what does that make me? A monster?"

"You're not a monster." He said, shaking his head. "You're a protector."

"A protector?" I whispered, not sure what he meant.

"You defend people when they need it. You only hurt those that aren't innocent. The ones that you hurt are the real monster's." He let out a sad laugh. "I guess that's why you've had to hurt me so many times."

I parted my lips, not really sure how to respond. I didn't know what to say. So, I didn't say a word. 

Instead, I found myself staring him in the eyes. And, as I looked into the windows of his soul, I saw darkness and evil slowly consuming him. Maybe I could stop it from consuming him completely. I felt that I could. 

"You are no monster, Murphy." I whispered, and continued to look him in the eyes. 

I leaned forwards, subconsciously stroking his cheek with my thumb. My eyes went down to his lips, then back up again. I wanted this.

Correction: I wanted him.

Even if it was just once, one kiss might be enough. (Emphasis on the MIGHT...)

He leaned further, and my lips grazed against his for just a moment before I couldn't take it anymore. I placed my left hand on the back of his neck, pulling him towards me. His lips were soon pressed against mine, and his hands went to my waist. 

This was different. The strange part was that, I hadn't even realized it, but Murphy was my first kiss. Yes, it had been last night, but that had just been a little peck on the lips. It was so innocent. This was different. 

I wanted him just as much as he appeared to want me. Whether it was just lust, or if he truly cared about me, it didn't matter. 

It was much like the other kiss we had shared. Innocent, and short. But this one was filled with passion and love, at least, on my end it was.

I pulled away at one point, my eyes widening. He smiled at me.

We both stared at each other in complete and utter silence, my heart feeling as if it would beat so quickly that it would fly straight out of my chest. 

He was the first to break the comfortable silence. "It's getting late. We should get some rest."

"We?"

He chuckled. "Yes. We."

"Why we?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Because three quarters of the guys in this camp seem to really like you, and I'm the only one that has kissed you. Twice."

"So in other words, you've claimed me?" I laughed.

"Yeah, pretty much," He stood up, holding his hand out to me. "Now come on."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine," I said, and grabbed his hand as he pulled me up. "I hope you know that I don't belong to anyone."

"They don't need to know that." He grinned as we walked back to the drop ship.

_____________________________________________________________________________

So. In this chapter, they both see different sides of each other. Venus notices that she does care for him, but isn't completely ready for a full relationship. But they have an understanding, a connection. :) IT'S HAPPENING, PEOPLE