Chapter I - the bet

"I can't believe you're getting married!" I squeal as we slot the wedding invitations into envelopes to mail out. "Are you excited?"

Leslie sighed dramatically and turned to me, "is that even a question? Of course I am!" There's a pause before she continued, in a less upbeat tone. "I'm actually kind of nervous too. There's so much to plan in so little time."

I followed her gaze to the catalogues strewn across the table. There were dresses, shoes, flowers, tablecloths and every other imaginable thing. As far as I know, the only thing that has been decided was the venue.

I let out a chuckle, thank god I'm not the one getting married. "I'll be here to help whenever you need." I offer, and apparently she needs it.

"Oh, you can help pick the bridesmaid dresses." She replied without a moment of hesitation. I shake my head, "I think your friends can do that themselves." I don't really along with them, not in a bad way, and she knows it.

"Kyra, come on. You have to at least come pick your own dress." I was the maid of honor, but if it wasn't for my dear dear sister, I would show up in a jumpsuit.

I shrugged, "you have my measurements, you could pick one for me." I turned back to the envelopes, the only thing missing was the stamps. Caleb, Leslie's husband-to-be, ran out a while ago to get them.

Leslie clicked her tongue as she set the last envelope down. "Well, this is yours." She picked up an invitation and handed it over. I flipped it open and read its contents even though I was the one that printed them.

<Kyra Williams, you are cordially invited to the wedding of Leslie & Caleb.>

I flip it closes. "I didn't think I was going to get one. Do I have to drop you an email? Or would a call be better?" I end my sentence with a giggle.

Leslie laughed along with me. "It's for your plus one." I stopped laughing. Did I just hear that right? I turn to Leslie who was grinning at me. "Who said anything about a plus one?"

"You're not bringing anyone?" Leslie gasped while putting a hand to her chest. I scrunched up my nose at her, I should've known she would be like this.

"We're going to the Bahamas! Ask someone out, it's a great opportunity." She tried to convince me but I corrected her. "Yea, we're going to the Bahamas, for your wedding."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "If you bring someone, I'll pay for your flight." Now I'm interested. "First class?"

Leslie nodded. "Of course, it's my wedding. First class for both of you and the hotel." My eyes lit up, now this is what I'm talking about. "Deal. I'll have a date by the end of the week." I put my hand out for her to shake.

"A real date, not just a fling or you're paying for yourselves." She warned me. I grin at her, easy-peasy.

Just then, the front door opened and Caleb walked in. I turned to him with a huge smile plastered on my face. "What are you smiling about?" He asked as he set the box of stamps on the table.

"Free vacation!" I squeal and hop up. I think they can paste the stamps themselves. I grabbed my things and said goodbye before skipping out the front door.

Caleb turned to Leslie after watching me go. "What's she talking about?"

"I said I would pay for her trip if she got a date by next week." Leslie replied with a huge grin. Caleb raised his eyebrow, "I thought you were already paying for it?"