Chapter II - Lucifer

I skipped down the pavement and got into my car. This is great, all I have to do is find a cute guy and bring him to the wedding. We just have to pretend we're dating for like a week and he'll get a free vacation. Who will say no to that?

I pulled out my phone and scrolled through my contacts. I couldn't get any of my friends because Leslie knows all of them. She'll definitely think I'm faking it.

Maybe I'll get someone to introduce me or a guy off the streets would do.

(One week goes by)

I'm standing in the middle of my living room with no date and no vacation. How is every guy I've met either taken or unwilling?

The flight's in a few days and I had to get a date by tomorrow. I've tried asking almost everyone I know, I've tried asking strangers on the streets and I even tried a dating app or two. Nothing worked.

I started to pace around the room, too stressed to admire the view from my floor-to-ceiling window. What to do, what to do, what to do...

I scan my room in hopes of suddenly finding something that would solve my problem and a book came into my view.

Someone bought it for me as a joke a while back and I just left it on the shelf. It wasn't even open yet. I walked over and pulled it off the shelf before settling onto the sofa.

There was no title, the hard cover was just black with some white-outlined shapes and lines. If I remember it correctly, the bookstore said it was a summoning book.

I ripped the plastic off and flipped the book open. The first row of words read : To summon an angel. I mean, why not? My eyes travel down the page and the spell looks easy enough. Now all I have to do is read.

I try to the best of my ability to pronounce the few lines which were probably in Latin. When I was done, I sat there silently for a few seconds, actually waiting for something to happen.

Guess what? Nothing happened.

I must look delusional, I realised as Luna brushed her body against my leg. I flip through the pages, there were sections for angels, demons, and even the undead.

Luna jumps up on the sofa as I landed on a page that didn't have a single bit of English. My eyes trailed down and the spell seemed easy enough, it was short and the words were pronounceable.

Luna reached her paw over and gave the page a pet, looks like she wanted me to give it a try too. I read out the spell as Luna settled down and got some head rubs. When I was done, I gave the spell a few seconds as buffer time before turning to Luna.

"I guess it didn't work, huh? That's too bad then." I set the book aside and lifted Luna onto my lap. She turned to lie on her back, basically demanding for belly rubs.

"I don't have a date, so..." Luna let out a meow. "Bye bye free vacation." I sighed as she got up and jumped onto the floor. I guess I should give Leslie a call and tell her.

"You summoned me," A deep voice came from the corner of the room. I raised my head in that direction to see nothing, maybe I just heard wrong?

"To be your date?" The voice echoed through the house as a figure stepped out of the shadows. There is no way this was happening. My eyes widened as I let out a scream. This person was the literal definition of darkness.

My scream lasted only for a second. I shut my mouth and felt around my neck, I was screaming and talking but no sounds were coming out.

I took a deep breath and looked to the figure still standing in the corner. I could feel my heart throbbing in my chest as I pointed to my mouth. He must have taken my voice away, what other explanation was there?