Chapter XXIII - coffee

The receptionist at the lobby tells us about the best restaurant in town and we head over for brunch.

All Lucifer gets is coffee, cup after cup. "Are you sure you can drink so much?" I chuckle at him as he orders the third cup. "Of course I can," he nodded, "and there's no coffee in hell so I'm going to drink as much as I can."

I suppress a laugh and continue with my food. I haven't thought about the wedding in Hell yet but honestly I'm still pretty excited.

Lucifer cleared his throat and I looked up at him. "About that," he mumbled as he looked at anything but me. "You're not coming anymore." Huh? What is he talking about?

"The wedding, my wedding." He clarified

"What?" Was all I managed to get out, processing what he had just said. Lucifer remained silent across the table, not meeting my eyes. "But we had a deal, it's fair trade. Isn't that what you said?" I question him, unsure what's going on. Why is he suddenly telling me this, deciding all this on his own.

"Showing me around your world is enough repayment. You're off the hook."

What? I was starting to get annoyed, he can't just decide this all by himself. "We signed a contract, you can't just back out like that." I argued back.

Lucifer shook his head across the table, "it actually sounds like you want to go to hell."

I actually do. I admit and he brings his eyes back to meet mine. "Why? It's dangerous and you could get hurt, it's not somewhere you should want to visit" He doesn't understand.

"Because I want to see your world. And I have you, don't I?" I furrow my eyebrows at him as I continued, "you'll protect me."

"I..." Lucifer paused and sucked in a breath, "how can you still be so sure?" Obviously he was talking about what happened this morning. Honestly, I don't really know either. "Well, you weren't trying to actually hurt me and I'm the only friend you have."

I get a raised brow in response before I continued on, "I'm too precious to lose." I joked, a grin pulling at my lips seeing that I successfully lightened the mood.

Lucifer scoffed and shook his head, "what am I going to do with you?"

"Take me to hell?" I looked up at him hopefully. I really was excited, to see what it actually looks like and for the wedding. Besides, which other person can actually say that they've been to hell and back.

Just as the waiter comes over with the third cup of coffee, Lucifer reluctantly nods.

~~

We were both getting ready for the wedding back in the room when a knock on the door sounded. Luckily Lucifer was in the bathroom when I went to open the door.

I had asked the restaurant to send over two bags of coffee beans, seeing how much Lucifer liked the coffee. Now he'll have some to drink in hell. The staff handed me the bags and another cup of coffee I had requested before I shut the door and quickly stuffed the coffee beans into my bag.

I hide them just in time before Lucifer steps out of the bathroom. "Who was that?"

I shrug nonchalantly, "no one, just another cup of coffee." I nod toward the coffee on the table as a grin appears on his face. "You are too precious to lose" He joked, passing by me to get the cup of coffee.

I rolled my eyes at him before walking into the closet to get changed.

When I was finally done with the light make up and the jewellery, I pulled on my heels and walked out. Lucifer was adjusting his clothes in front of the mirror.

I have to admit, he looks pretty good.

I stare at him through the mirror and his eyes drift over to me. "Of course I do." He smirked and turned around. I keep forgetting he can hear my thoughts.

I ignore him and do a little twirl, showing off my dress. There's silence as I look to him expectantly. Well, how do I look? He cleared his throat and made a little hum, pretending to be thinking about it. "You look pretty good too."

Then Lucifer teleported us over to the wedding venue, a little way down the road so that no one would see us.

We walk in and it's still pretty empty since the guests aren't suppose to arrive till closer to evening time. Everything looked perfect, the decorations and everything.

As we entered the huge room, there was this empty paint by numbers portrait by the side for the guests to complete, cute idea. I grinned as I looked to Lucifer who was staring at it too. "Let's do it." I said before pulling him over.

We both take different colours and add it to the empty canvas. I was finished before he was and I reached over with my brush, drawing a little smiley face on his hand.

He only realised it when he was done and I was roaming around the place. Walking over he was staring at something on my cheek. "You have something on your face." Was all he said as he reached over, rubbing whatever it was off with his thumb.

"There." He said softly, blowing a breath of air onto my cheek before leaning away.

"Thanks." I mumbled as we made our way over to where Leslie and my parents were. I could hear Leslie telling them about the music that was queued later as we approach.

When she saw us, she let out a giggle. "Having fun with the painting?" She asked.

I nodded, "yea, "It's a great idea." Lucifer was chuckling at my side too as I looked up at him, wondering what was so funny.

Mum made a little gasp as she turned to look at me. "Dear, you got some paint on your face" She sighed, pointing to spot on her own face. Wasn't that where Lucifer was wiping?

I turned and narrowed my eyes at him. He feigned innocence as he gasped, "how did that get there?" He grabbed a tissue from the side and pulled me closer to him. "Here, let me help you get it off."

Like how you helped me get it on in the first place?

Lucifer let out a snicker as he rubbed the tissue against my cheek. I don't know what you're talking about. "How did this even get here?" He questioned.

I grumbled at him and pulled away once he was done, about to say something in return when he interrupted me. "Oh, you got some on your dress."

I gasped and looked down, I can't have ruined my dress even before the wedding started. There was no paint.

"Just kidding."