Chapter XXII - who's scared

Why would he do this? What's happening? What do I do?

Lucifer... I tried to call out to him, hoping he'd reply. This isn't like him, he wouldn't hurt me. Right?

I could barely see his eyes in the dark room, with the rain still pouring outside, I shut my own. This really wasn't how I thought I'd go.

At least these past few days were fun.

A flash of light pulls me from my thoughts and my eyes fly open, half expecting to be in heaven. All I saw was Lucifer looking past me, out the sliding doors while the crashing sound of thunder made me jolt up.

It seems to have shocked Lucifer too, out of whatever trance he was in. His eyes trail back to me, widened in shock.

The sharp tip under my chin was gone in seconds as he released his grip on my wrist, letting me slump down onto my knees. I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding as my vision blurred, tears burning down my cheeks. Bringing a hand up to my chest, I tired to control my breathing and calm myself down.

"Kyra..."

My eyes shot up to see Lucifer reaching over for me, a frown etched into his brows. He dark fingers with the black material slithering around came up to cup the side of my face and before I knew it, I had flinched away.

A few seconds longer and he could have killed me.

Seeing my reaction, Lucifer grimaced and pulled his fingers away. I watched him, while tears continued to flow down my cheeks, the devil.

Another flash lights up the room again and gone is the dark skin and black material, now the human Lucifer was watching me worriedly, his hands by his side, not sure what to do.

A sigh of relief escapes me. I know he's still the same person who had just almost killed me, but somehow seeing him in his human form made me feel a little bit more safe and a little more calm.

"Kyra, I'm sorry." He tried again, this time not reaching over or anything. He just sat there, holding my gaze.

Somehow, he looked scared.

I opened my mouth to reply but no words came out, what was I suppose to say.

Why are you scared, I was the one that almost died. I wondered as I watched him, it almost looked like he was the one that was attacked, not me.

Kyra, I would never hurt you. I heard his reply in my head, a little surprised. I didn't mean for him to hear what I had said. But since he did  I would really like an explanation.

I narrowed my eyes at him, how could I believe that. "But you just did."

His eyebrows furrowed together even closer as he reached out for my hand that was on the bed. He scooped my hand into his, gently rubbing his thumb across my knuckles and I let him, waiting for him to speak. This seemed to be as hard for him as it was for me.

"I never meant to hurt you." He slowly admitted, glancing from my eyes to my wrists which were starting to bruise. I looked at him expectingly, this can't be all he has to say.

Apparently it was. I let out a sigh and pulled my hand out of his after a few more minutes of silence.

"Fine. Get out."

If he's not even going to tell me what's going on, then fine.

Using the remaining of my energy, I climbed off the bed and walked towards the bathroom. I just wanted to be alone now and a warm relaxing bath sounded pretty good.

Deep down, I know Lucifer was telling the truth, he would never hurt me. But I needed to know what happened before I could trust him again. If he didn't want to tell me, then I'll be fine going to the wedding alone.