Chapter XV - sign at the bottom

When I was done, Lucifer had gotten up and was waiting outside. I held my hands behind my back as I approached him.

"Can we go get ice cream?"

There's a slight frown but he said yes anyway. I beamed at him before we set off to find a café or ice cream store.

As we strolled along the streets, I asked Lucifer about making a contract. It was something that popped into my head while I was paying.

"Don't you sign contracts with people who summon you?" I asked with reference to all the devil movies and shows that were on tv. That's typically the first thing they do.

"A contract?" He repeated after me, sounding a little shocked that I would bring something like this up. "Yea, like an agreement of what you'll do for me and what I'll do in return, for you."

A contract made sense, but seeing as how we didn't have one, maybe they're not real. Lucifer scoffed, "I know what a contract is." Or maybe, he just didn't sign one with me.

I'm not possibly the only person that's summoned Lucifer, the only difference is other people probably didn't do it on accident. I was starting to wonder what else he was summoned for and what was the price.

"Look, you're not selling your soul or anything like that so it's not important." Lucifer sighed, answering my question. But now I just have so many more.

"People actually sell you their souls?" What did they ask from you? Did they die after that? How many people summoned you before?

He chuckled at my sudden interest as a little café came into view. "Let's go get your ice cream," he said.

"Hey come on. Answer my question." I whined as we made our way over. He turned to me and pretended to think for a moment before he said, "I think it's better you don't know."

Fine, be all secretive. "Why do you only sign contracts with people who sell you their souls?" I asked, not planning to drop the subject anytime soon.

Lucifer gave me a side glance and sighed, "it's kind of complicated, but... humans are greedy and contracts are binding." That's one question answered.

"But, you can make a contract with me if you wanted to right?" I asked as we walked in. Lucifer made some confused noises but ended up nodding. "What for?"

"Well, we don't really have a proper agreement on what we're doing for each other." I started to say what was on my mind. "And I don't want to cross a line with you on accident, and I would kind of like a guarantee on my life too."

I was starting to ramble and I really hoped Lucifer got what I was trying to say.

He rolled his eyes and sighed, "whatever you want. But let's do it back in the room." I was half expecting him to disagree, this worked out great.

"We can eat while we do that."

I pulled him over to the counter with tubs of different flavours and we get a cup each. I bet Lucifer's going to love this too.

We walked back out and I led us into an alley. "Aren't we going back?" Lucifer asked, a little confused. "We are," I grinned up at him, "you can teleport us back." It's the fastest way.

Lucifer let out a scoff, "is that why we're here?" He glanced around, it was a narrow alley, dimly lit and there was no one here but us.

"Mhm."

I looked up at him expectantly and he took a moment before he let out a sigh. "My powers are just at your disposal huh?" He asked, then nodded along like it made sense.

With one hand around my waist, he pulled me into him. The other was occupied with holding both our ice creams.

"Close your eyes and hold on tight, okay?" He said with a low voice. My hands found their way around his waist and rested on his back as I shut my eyes against his shoulder.

Without counting down or warning me, Lucifer did it. I felt slight movement around us before the ground left my feet. If it wasn't for Lucifer's arm around me, I probably would slip down.

I moved my hands further up his back and balled his shirt into my fist, tightening my grip. Before long, we landed. "You can let go now."

I opened my eyes and saw the pool through the glass sliding door. That was fast. I released my grip on his shirt and leaned away, turning up to face him. If he teleported me everywhere, I won't have to wake up early anymore and I'll never be late again. How great is that?

I'm guessing I was staring a little intensely as those thoughts ran through my head, that's why Lucifer blew a puff of air at me, making my blink and look away.

He held out my cup for me to take before heading over to the bed. I went after him and climbed on from the other side.

"So, how does your contract work?" I asked as I finally took a taste of my ice cream. It was pretty good and Lucifer looked like he was enjoying his too, it was half gone. "Is there like blood or something?"

I got onto my stomach and reached across the bed to scoop a spoonful of his ice cream into my mouth. "Blood? No we only use blood for special things, like Kings or humans of great value." I nodded along with my mouth full.

"Usually, we just write and sign." Lucifer explained as he leaned over and took the last bit of my ice cream. We set our cups aside and I watched as he materialized a piece of paper and a pen from thin air.

He placed them down between us and said, "just say what you want, it'll write itself." I cleared my throat and started.

"You, Lucifer, will attend my sister's wedding and all related activities on earth for two weeks and I, Kyra, will in turn attend your sibling's wedding in hell."

The pen picked itself up and scribbled away as I spoke. It ended with a full stop and fell onto the paper, lifeless again.

Now, on to the conditions.

"I want to return to earth alive and well after the wedding." I stopped to think of what to say next because this was the only point I had. I looked to Lucifer and prompted him to say something.

"I'll do whatever you say on earth, but you'll have to listen to me in hell." He came up with and I nodded along. "Okay. I don't mind doing anything if it makes us look like we're together." I looked up to Lucifer.

"Yea, me too."

"So you won't get angry if I kissed you again?"

He grumbled as he erased my last sentence from the paper. "Next time tell me first before you do it." He said as his eyes wandered out to the pool. Okay, I can do that.

"Oh, one last thing. If anybody hurts me, it'll be like they're hurting you." Since we were no longer talking about the kissing, Lucifer turned back to me. He looked at me with slightly scrunched up eyebrows before reading the last line to make sure he heard me right.

"Safety net." I shrugged, "it's not like I don't trust you. It's just, well..." He looked back up at me with piercing eyes. "You're the devil."

After a moment of silence, Lucifer let out a chuckle. "I am." He grabbed the contract and signed at the bottom before passing it to me. I gave it a read before signing it too, my guarantee for my life.