Chapter XXX - the almost kiss

When we finally arrived for the wedding activities, couples were spaced out on the dance floor, waiting for the song to start. Halie was there too, standing with her fiancé as she spotted us enter.

She shot us a grin and beckoned us over. "Looks like we made it just in time." Lucifer mumbled as he led us over to the crowd. Stepping onto the dance floor, he turned back to me and offered his hand.

I let out a little chuckle and placed my hand in his, "I think I remember how to do this." We just practiced a few days ago, I should be able to still do it.

Lucifer tried his best not to laugh as he pulled me over and placed a hand on my waist while I placed mine on his shoulder. In a moment the music started and we started to waltz around the room.

I was trying my best to remember all the steps and not step on Lucifer, but turns out I was a little rusty.

I let out a grumble as I stepped on Lucifer yet again. "Relax," he said as I glanced up at him. I let out a sigh, "I don't remember it being so hard."

Lucifer let out a chuckle as he shook his head, "listen to the music." He started to softly hum along with the song as he guided us along the dance floor. I let out another breath and started to hum along with him. Soon we were gliding along.

"See, it's not that hard." Lucifer commented as he pushed me out into a small spin. I was back in his arms before I rolled my eyes at him. "You ready?" He asked as a small smirk crawled into his face.

Ready for what?

I stared blankly at him as he slid his hand from my waist to my lower back ever so gently, pulling me closer. Before I could say anything, the floor had gone from my feet as we were lifted into the air.

The grip I had on his shoulder tightened, my legs had stopped moving and we fell. The floor was just a few centimetres away.

"The better we dance the higher we go." Lucifer explained as I looked around, only just noticing the couples around us floating in the air. I could see that Halie and her betrothed were the furthest away.

Turning back to Lucifer, I was pretty excited. "Let's go again." I said as I pulled him to start dancing again. I might be just a little competitive.

We started floating in no time. I started looking around at the other couples around us, it was kind of magical.

"Hey, focus." Lucifer pulled my attention back to him. I was focusing, that's how we were still afloat. "I think I'm doing a good job." I said back to him.

Lucifer rolled his eyes as he moved my out-stretched onto his shoulder. I raised my eyebrows at him but linked my arms around his neck anyway. "Hold tight, don't fall." He said as his arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer.

Our bodies were flushed against each other as we swayed to the song. "I'll be fine." My words came out barely a whisper.

Lucifer's eyes were shifting from my eyes down to my lips and back up again. I could feel my heart picking up its pace as my tongue swept over my lips. Even though the room was filled, it felt like we were the only ones here.

I wonder what it'll be like to kiss him.

Our eyes locked and I held in a breath. Soon my eyes fluttered shut as we both leaned in, lips puckered. I couldn't believe this was happening but then again, I could. 

But before I could feel Lucifer's lips on mine, the music stopped and I was falling through the air. My eyes flew open as I slipped through Lucifer's grip.

His eyes shot open as well as he felt me slip away from him. In a second he had his wings out and came flying after me. I didn't know how far away we were from the ground or how soon I'd become a lifeless sack of bones so I reached out for him, as much as I could.

My heart was beating even faster now.

I shut my eyes, too scared to watch Lucifer trying to reach me as I plummet to my death.

It felt like forever as I fell, weightless through the air. I couldn't hear anything or even breathe from the panic. The moment my hands felt something, I gripped it tight with all my life. Arms came wrapping around me as the air stopped rushing past. Another wingbeat later, we landed on the ground.

"Kyra," he breathed, his chest heaving under me. I seemed to have regain bodily function as I gasped, trying to catch my breath. "Sweetheart, it's okay." He soothed.

I forced my eyes open to see Lucifer peering down at me with worried eyes and his eyebrows were scrunched together.

My hands had bunched up his shirt at his chest as he held me tightly, one arm under my legs and another behind my back. "You're okay." Lucifer tried to calm me down and it worked, I started to relax in his grip.

"I'm going to put you down okay?" He asked softly. I weakly hummed in reply as I let go of his shirt. Lucifer gently set me down on shaky legs and I took half a step to turn back to face him.

I swallowed a breath as I stood, staring into his chest. My skin was prickling and it was like I could still feel myself falling.

I reached out to lightly grab his shirt at his waist as I stepped toward him, closing the distance between us but not enough for our bodies to touch.

"What's wrong?" Lucifer asked, peering down at me worriedly as his hands found mine. I shook my head, I just needed a second to calm down and being in the middle of a party wasn't really helping much.

It was like Lucifer knew what was wrong. He guided my hands to wrap around his waist, pulling me into him as his arms came wrapping around me, with one going to the back of my head as I buried my face into the crook of his neck.

He sighed as he gently rubbed my head and I felt light swishing around us as Lucifer teleported us away.

We were back in his room and we just stayed like that. 

"You almost couldn't catch me." I mumbled against his skin after a while. I felt Lucifer tense then relax again before he slightly pulled me away to look into my eyes. "I know, but what's important is that I got you in the end. You're still here in one piece right?" He tried to lift the mood but all I could give him was half a smile.

"I would never let anything happen to you," Lucifer continued, letting out a sigh. "I know." I replied, adding in a thank you after a few moments.