Chapter XVI - good morning

"So, tell me about that wedding of yours."

Now that the contract was done with, I was curious to hear more about the wedding in hell I would be attending. Lucifer kept the contract as I fell into the pile of pillows.

"It's my sister's wedding and you'll have to meet a lot of demons and angels." He started to say and honestly, I wasn't that worried about going anymore. Attending a wedding in hell is a once in a lifetime thing, and my lifetime wasn't going to end anytime soon, so let's enjoy it.

"It's a day after your ceremony and you'll be there for about three days." That's pretty convenient. I'll just tell everyone we want to extend our vacation, that way it wouldn't be weird if no one hears from me.

That reminds me, we're breaking up after the wedding. I already have a reason ready. "You know, if anyone asks, I'll be blaming the break up on you."

Lucifer rolled his eyes. "You're the one with commitment issues. It'd be more believable if you said you got bored of me."

I gasped, "how did you know that?" I've had many flings, nothing serious, but I don't remember ever telling Lucifer that. He giggled, almost like a little girl. "I heard it from Leslie."

I can't believe her. How is everyone out to embarrass me?

"Seriously? When did she say that?"

Lucifer shrugged, "just now. She came by when you were walking back from the beach." Of course she did. "What else did she say?" Hopefully nothing else.

There was a grin on his face as he shifted to lie beside me. "Nothing much. Just that high school boyfriend." I gasped as he continued, "Jack was it?"

"Better than you, "I scoffed, trying to cover up my embarrassment. "You've never dated anyone before."

"I heard you were crying for days. He broke your heart huh?" Lucifer made fun of me. I was actually pretty heartbroken, but I'm not admitting that. I scrunched my face up at him then looked away.

"Aww," Lucifer cooed as he reached over to pat my head. "Don't be sad when we break up, okay?" He was baby-talking to me.

I turned back to him, deciding to play along. "But I like you so much." I said with a slight pout and high-pitched voice. He did a gasp and put his hand to his chest, "really? More than Jack?"

Somehow, he looked kind of cute.

I sniffled, "yea! I'll cry for a whole week when we break up." Now he gasped and pouted back at me. "Aw, don't do that. You'll make me look like an asshole."

I burst out in laughter, not expecting that last part. The way he said it made it even funnier.

Through my tears, I see Lucifer smiling smugly. Oh, this isn't over. I composed myself before continuing, "won't you cry?"

"Me? Of course not, I'm the one dumping you." He said it like it was obvious. "Aww," I cooed at him, reaching over to rub his ear. "It's okay to cry. I know you're just a little baby on the inside."

He flinched and swatted my hand away. "Who's a baby." He mumbled as he got up. I giggled under my breath, looks like I got to him.

He dusted his clothes as the door appears in the corner. "You're going back already?" I asked, sitting up. Come to think of it, he hasn't gone back in a while.

He did a little wave as he stepped in front of it. "See you in the morning." With that, he was gone. I giggled as I lay back down, he just ran away didn't he?

(The next morning.)

I felt myself get lifted lightly off the sheets, but being groggy, I just thought I was imagining it or that it was a very life-like dream.

That was seconds before I was falling, splashing into the freezing cold water and sinking. I inhaled some of it as I struggled to resurface.

"Good morning sweetheart."

Lucifer was standing at the edge of the pool, arms crossed and a smug little grin on his face. I groaned, wiping the water out of my eyes before waddling over to the wooden platform.

This was not how I thought my morning would start. I scoop a handful of water and threw it up at him. But instead of getting wet, he held his hand out and the water droplets freeze in mid air. Usually I would be impressed, but not today.

He flicked his wrist down and the water came raining back down on me. I wiped the water out of my eyes again. "I would prefer breakfast in bed." I suggested as I reached up for him to help me out.

Instead, he took a step away. "I'm not falling for that again." He shook his head before turning on his heel and walking back into the room.

I grumbled as I got myself up and out of the pool. Dripping wet, I trudged into the back into the room and straight to the toilet. Might as well take a shower now.

When I was done, there was food on the table. Breakfast. I pull out a chair opposite of Lucifer and took a seat. I was guessing most of the food was for me since he was just sipping his coffee. He must really like coffee.

"Why are you even here so early?" I asked, starting to dig in. It was barely nine and that was after the long hot shower I took. He shrugged, "it's morning."

I rolled my eyes at him and reached over for his coffee. He only ordered one cup for himself and obviously wasn't very keen on sharing. "You threw me in the pool."

Lucifer shrugged, "so?"

I leaned over the table and snatched it from him. "It's the least you can do." I mumbled, quickly taking a sip before he snatched it back.

"I could throw you back in." He threatened. I made little effort to laugh and went back to my food. At least they were nice. Checking the time, I got Lucifer to go get changed while I finished up. Then, we were out the door.

We went down and Lucifer was quiet until he spotted Leslie and her friends gathered at the entrance. "Hold on, we're going shopping with them?" Oh right, I don't think I told him.

He was starting to slow down and I matched his pace. "I don't think you need me to go too." He decided, grinning now at me. No I don't think so.

"You're not leaving me alone with them," I told him. "Besides, you make me look good." Whatever he's going to say next wouldn't matter because they've already spotted us, he's not running away now.

All their attention turned to him. "I didn't know you were coming!" And similar gasps echoed through the group. I turned to see how he was taking it and he already had his charming smile on saying, "I didn't have anything planned so..."

He turned to me. "I hope it's okay I brought him with me." I cleared my throat and said, sounding way nicer than I usually do.

Leslie came over once she got off her phone and beamed at us. "Of course, the more the merrier."