Chapter XXVIV - the question game

The next morning I wake up to the smell of toast and scrambled eggs. Turning to the side, I see Lucifer walking over with a plate of food and a cup of coffee.

"Hey, I thought you'd be hungry." He said to me as I sat up, my eyes still half closed. Breakfast in bed, how nice.

Lucifer placed the plate beside me before reaching over to comb down my hair. "Did you sleep okay?" He asked and I hummed in response. He had let me have his bed yesterday and left to sleep somewhere else before I could say anything. Although the alone time did let me think about what we talked about.

"Lucifer?" I called out, reaching over to pull his hand down to my lap so that he would pay attention. "What happens, you know, after the wedding?"

I never gave it much thought until last night. Was I suppose to just go back to my life like none of this ever happened?

"After the wedding?" Lucifer paused, looks like he hasn't thought about it either. "I thought you were going to blame me for breaking your heart?" He said with a slight chuckle. I played along and brought my hand up to my heart and looked at him with the saddest face I could muster.

"I'll tell everyone you just used me for a free vacation." I joked, shaking my head disapprovingly at him. That couldn't be further from the truth, if anything I'd be the one using him for free things.

Shaking his head back at me he let out a chuckle. "Honestly Kyra, I don't know." He sighed, bringing us back to my question. I pursed my lips together and looked down at our hands. What was I expecting anyways, it's not like we can continue pretending to be together.

Lucifer moved to sit on the edge of the bed as he lightly laced his fingers through mine. "Hey," he started to say, his voice gentle as I glanced back up to meet his eyes.

"I'm not saying we won't ever see each other again. We're just a little complicated, you know? With me being, well, me and you being you." A small smile worked its way to my lips as I listened.

"But we'll work something out tomorrow okay? Before you go back." Lucifer finished his little speech, watching me with slightly raised eyebrows, waiting for a reply.

I nodded. Honestly, it wasn't the best answer but somehow he made me feel like everything would sort out when the time came.

"Great, we'll talk about it tomorrow." Giving my hand a light squeeze, he got off the bed and let go. "Now eat up before it gets cold."

~~

Lucifer had explained that today was mostly just wedding activities and the big party before the ceremony tomorrow.

I had skipped most of the activities because they were more or less related to the human suffering in hell, according to Lucifer who decided he'd stay in with me.

He had agreed to give me a tour of the place since almost everyone would be at the activities. The whole place was dark and gloomy as expected. "I think I like earth better." I commented as we continued to aimlessly walk around.

"There would be something wrong if you liked hell better." Lucifer chuckled as we walked through another hallway. I was pretty lost by now.

"What was your favourite part from the time you spent on earth?" I asked and Lucifer looked like he already had an answer. "Other than coffee." I quickly added.

He let out a scoff like he wasn't just about to say that. "It would be the time when we watched the sunset on the beach. You don't get to see anything like that down here." He thought about it for a while before he decided.

"What about you?"

I shook my head at him, "you can't ask me back the same question. It's how the game works." I can't pick a favourite because I liked every second I spent with Lucifer, but I wasn't about to tell him that.

"Game? I didn't know we were playing a game." Lucifer raised an eyebrow at me and I shrugged in return. "Well we are now and that's how it works. So, ask another one."

He just chuckled but decided to play along. "Okay," he paused, letting out a hum. "If you could change anything that's happened in the past two weeks, what would it be?" That's a pretty good question.

I started replaying everything that's happened since we've met, all the wedding preparations and the little moments we've had. I couldn't think of a single thing that I would want to have happened differently, even that morning I almost died. Because if that didn't happen, I guess somehow we wouldn't be as close as we were right now.

"I wouldn't change a thing. I like how everything turned out." I admitted just as the back of our hands gently scraped against each other. Lucifer grinned as he quietly added, "me too."

I smiled, something I seemed to be doing a lot around him. "Now it's my turn." I announced before taking a moment to think. "Why did you want to bring me to your wedding in the first place?"

I wanted a date to win the bet, what was his reason?

"You mean before I got to know you?" He clarified and I nodded in return. "Well, because you owe me." I waited for the rest of the answer which never came.

"That's it? Come on, the game rule says we need to tell the truth." I pushed, starting to get curious as to why he'd risk bringing a human down here rather than take another devil as his date.

Lucifer rolled his eyes but answered anyways. "Because you're human, you wouldn't possibly dare betray me." He started to explain and I could see where this was going. "I didn't want to bring another devil or show up with no one because then Halie would want to introduce me to someone. I didn't want to risk what happened with Amari happening again. So I thought it was perfect to take you."

Before I could come up with something to say to that, Lucifer spoke again. "You know, somehow you always find a way to make me admit more than I want to." From the way he said that, I couldn't really tell if he was upset or not.

"I think, you're just not used to having someone to share stuff with." I started to say as I watched him for any signs of anger. All he did was glance over. "But now you have me. And like you said, I wouldn't dare betray you, I'm just a puny human." I continued in a more playful tone, trying to cheer him up.

I got a slight chuckle. "I would never do that to you." I added in a smaller voice, brushing the back of my hand against Lucifer's, this time on purpose.

Lucifer stopped walking and turned to face me, as if debating whether to believe me or not. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't, but what I said really was the truth.

I just stood there and smiled at him as he stared at me, like the answer was written on my face. "I know, but..." He finally managed to say. I shook my head as I stepped closer to him, I know this was hard for him.

"It's okay." I mumbled as I took his hands in mine, gently rubbing circles on the back of his hands. I didn't need an explanation.

Lucifer let out a sigh as he watched me before leaning down to press his forehead onto mine.