Chapter Twenty-Four: Hexley Hall

Cedric was trying to undo a spell he cast that made Wormwood go into a painting of Hexley Hall. He wanted to make a copy of Wormwood and put it in the painting but instead, he just put Wormwood inside. Now he can't remember the spell to get him out. Sofia came in asking for his help with something. But he was preoccupied with the Wormwood situation. But, Sofia gave him the spell to get him out and he was fine. Now, why does Sofia need Cedric's help?

Turns out it was about her amulet. I hadn't told him about my adventure with Princess Elena so this was going to be a shock. Sofia explained that her amulet hasn't been acting the same since we freed Elena and told him about Elena being inside. Cedric didn't know this. Sofia explained that, ever since her amulet changed colors, it's been acting differently. Like, for example, she turned into a rabbit then back again today. Maybe the powers changed when the amulet did but how?

We need to find out. Wormwood and Abu tried to get our attention about something but we can't understand them. Since Sofia can understand them, she suggested we go to Hexley Hall. I mean, we could find the answers there. And we won't have to worry about any students running around since it's a three-day weekend. It's Saturday so I don't see how that makes a difference. So, we took a coach to Hexley Hall. This is my first time coming here. This should be fun.

Some wizard statues opened the doors for us and we walked in to see the mail hallway full of magic items. We got to the end where the headmaster, Grimtrix the Good, appeared to welcome us. He took our coats from us and hung them up. And he was overdoing the 'Good' part of his name. He is too good for his own, well, good. He asked us why we were here on a Saturday. Because Cedric was struggling with a lie, I helped by saying that Sofia needed some books for her alchemy class. Grimtrix offered to walk us to the library or find the books we needed. No, we'll be fine.

This man is like a Buttercup in an adult body with how nice he is. And he left. Time to find out more about the Amulet of Avalor. We made our way to the giant library! This would easily put the one in the castle to shame. Cedric remembered the many tests he studied in this library. After being shushed by the Shusher, Cedric looked for a book about Magical Objects. He was taken to a book all about Avalor and its magical Jewelry. Sofia pointed out the Ancient Civilization of Maru on the map in the book. That's where Sofia's amulet was made. 

"Yes, and it says here that long ago, Maruvian sorcerers made jewelry with special magical properties. With time and practice, those who wear the pieces can unlock unbelievable power," Cedric said smiling.

"But I never did anything to unlock my powers," Sofia said, "Princess Elena just gave them to me when she felt I'd done a good deed."

"Ah. You mean she used to when she was inside your amulet. But now that she's gone, you are in control of the powers."

"Me?"

"You gave yourself the power to turn into a rabbit, not Princess Elena," I said.

"Can I turn into any animal I want?" Sofia asked

"Let's find out," Cedric said.

Sofia tried an elephant but nothing happened. Then an ostrich. Still nothing. She looked at Wormwood and asked to be a raven. That worked. So, she has to be looking at the animal she wants to turn into. She turned back into herself.

"Ah, Princess Sofia. The amulet is more powerful than ever," Cedric said smiling.

The Shusher came over to shush us. We apologized for making so much noise and it left.

"For once, I agree with that wretched shusher," Cedric said, "We must all keep quiet lest anyone learn about your amulet's powers."

"I won't tell anyone," Sofia said.

"Good, then let's read on."

And here's the shusher again to tell Cedric to be quiet. There is literally no one here! Cedric then fell into the bookcase trying to shush the Shusher and a few books fell on him. We helped him up and we looked for more books to read about the amulet. But I have a bad feeling about this place. Something just feels off. Grimtrix's niceness being one of them. He seems too nice. After some more reading, We started running into trouble. A weasel got close to Sofia and tried to take her amulet!

I knew something was off! Me, Sofia, Cedric, Wormwood, and Abu ran for it. We locked a door so they couldn't follow and found ourselves going into the potion room. Maybe one of these potions can help us with the animals trying to take Sofia's amulet. Cedric tried one and it was a floating potion. Not what he was looking for. He can reverse it but he needs his wand which is slowly floating away. But how did the animals know about Sofia's amulet? I'll probably find out later.

Cedric almost got his wand when he accidentally knocked over a potion that poured on Abu and Wormwood. Wormwood complained about all the things he's been through today and how much more he has to suffer. Cedric assured him it was just a little spill when he realized something and I realized it too. Wormwood can talk now! So can Abu! We can understand them! The potion must've been a speaking potion! This will be useful. With Wormwood's help, Cedric got his wand back and reversed the potion. But didn't have a soft landing.

And here's Grimtrix with his niceness to ask what's wrong. Cedric assured him everything was fine before shutting the door on him. But, shouldn't we have asked him for help since he's a good sorcerer? Cedric argued that we can't let anyone else learn about Sofia's amulet in case they try to take it too. So, we need to leave. We went to the entrance hall 2again but the weasel came and snatched Sofia's amulet! It ran off and we were too late to catch it.  

"She has my amulet! All because you two had to go tell those animals about it!" Sofia said to Wormwood and Abu

"What is she talking about?" I asked the two, "you had nothing to do with this, did you?"

"Well, we didn't mean to tell them," Abu said

"It just slipped out," Wormwood said

"How could you?" Cedric asked

"It was a simple mistake."

"That was no mistake. It was part of a scheme for you and your animal cohorts to get the amulet for yourselves!"

"No, no, no," Abu defended hiding with Wormwood on the stairs.

"I can't believe you'd betray us like this. After everything we've been through," I said.

"We are finished! Go find yourselves new masters," Cedric told them

"I'm so sorry! I wish we never told them!" Wormwood said in a panic

They just started mumbling so we ignored them. Time to get the amulet back. At least Cedric knows where the passageway the weasel took goes to. The Wanditorium. We went there just as the weasel arrived. Cedric and I tried to use our magic on it but they took our wands! Sofia tossed Cedric a few wands that were in here. They're very specific wands that cast only one spell. Then let's used the right wand and spell. Wormwood and Abu even helped slow the weasel down. Cedric was given a Standstill Wand and used that to stop the weasel.

Sofia took her amulet back. And we decided to give Wormwood and Abu a second chance. And here's Grimtrix again. He asked what was going on so Cedric finally told him what happened. But this wasn't the weasel's doing. Grimtrix told the weasel to retrieve the amulet for him. So Grimtrix the Good isn't so good after all. He's been watching us the whole visit. Not only that but he has the same plan as Cedric. To take over the kingdom and become king! How many more sorcerers are evil?

Grimtrix used his magic to try and take Sofia's amulet! Sofia threw us our wands but two Shushers shushed us! Noticing a Bulldog was now in the room, Sofia turned into one and used the new form to pull Grimtrix out of his throne and smash his crystal ball. She turned into herself again and the other animals tried to take it. But Cedric used the floating potion on us and we left. I guess everyone isn't how they appear. Let's just hope we never see Grimtrix and his weasel again.