Chapter Forty-Four: She'll be in their hearts

Cedric was the first to hear about this when Madisyn read the letter. She did promise that he'd be the first to know if (Y/N) was in any kind of danger. His heart broke when he read the letter. (Y/N) had explained everything, except Tom being the one who did it. Cedric wanted to cry. How could he not? The one person who he loves with all his heart is going to die and for what? For a reason that no one will ever know about.

He fell to the ground, breaking down in tears. He had always been afraid to lose her and now she's maybe a day away from death. It hurt to think of losing her like this. His parents saw his state through the painting and came to check on their son. All he did was hand them the letter and they knew what was wrong. They knew about their love for each other so this was even heartbreaking for them. But Winnifred encouraged him to save his tears for another time because she pointed out that (Y/N) had invited him and the royal family to see her one last time.

Cedric was quick to find them and showed them the letter. They too were heartbroken about the news but quickly left to get to Asgard as soon as possible. When they did, they went straight for the castle where Tom was furious that (Y/N) had disobeyed him but suspected why they were here. He thought (Y/N) had asked to see her family again but knew he would be angry if she asked herself. So, he let the family see her.

But the sight was awful. She was so pale, so sick-looking, her breathing was uneven, and rashes had started forming. Cedric ran to her side as she woke up to see everyone. Cedric sat next to her on the bed and hugged her. She apologized profusely for not listening to him when Cedric tried to save her the first time. Tom left everyone alone. 

"I'm so sorry, Cedric. I should've listened to you now I'm dying because of it. I'm sorry!" (Y/N) said crying. 

Cedric shushed her as he hugged her, "It's not your fault. I shouldn't have left you alone."

"No, you don't understand. Tom did this to me. He poisoned me. You were right. He was using me to get the throne and, now that he has it, he doesn't need me anymore so he's getting rid of me just like his parents! Please believe me! He's not what you think!"

"Tom wouldn't do such a thing. Cheat maybe but never kill anyone," Roland said.

Not having the energy to argue, (Y/N) gave up trying to convince them. But Sofia believed her. She remembered what Snow White told her during the Enchanted feast when she had a bad feeling about Sasha who turned out to be Miss Nettle. Now it was time for (Y/N) to tell everyone what she wants them to do. She asked Roland to sit in a chair that was hers, had Sofia sing Best Day Ever and the last one for Cedric.

"Anything. Just tell me," Cedric said

"Hold me as close as you can, please," (Y/N) said

"What?" Cedric was a little confused.

"You heard me."

"Wouldn't you want Tom to do that?"

"No. I want you to do it. Because I love you, not Tom. I know this is the wrong time to say it but I'll never have this opportunity again."

Cedric was shocked but did as she asked. He sat as close he could and held her close. (Y/N) started crying harder knowing she'd never have this feeling again. 

'Come stop your crying, it will be alright,' Cedric assured her, 'Just take my hand, hold it tight. I will protect you from all around you. I will be here, don't you cry. For one so small you seem so strong. My arms will hold you, keep you safe and warm. This bond between us can't be broken. I will be here don't you cry,'

''Cause you'll be in my heart,' everyone joined in, 'Yes, you'll be in my heart from this day on, now and forever more. You'll be in my heart. No matter what they say you'll be here in my heart. Always.'

'Why can't he understand the way we feel?' (Y/N) asked Cedric

'He just doesn't trust what he can't explain,' Cedric explained, 'I know we're different but deep inside us, we're not that different at all.'

'And you'll be in my heart. Yes, you'll be in my heart from this day on, now and forever more. You'll be in my heart no matter what they say. You'll be here in my heart. Always.'

'Don't listen to him cause what does he know? We need each other to have, to hold. He'll see in time. I know. And destiny calls you, you must be strong. I may not be with you but you've got to hold on. He'll see in time. I know. We'll show him together 'cause...'

'You'll be in my heart. Believe me, you'll be in my heart. I'll be there from this day on, now, and forever more. Oooo, you'll be in my heart. You'll be here in my heart no matter what they say. I'll be with you. You'll be here in my heart. I'll be there always. Always. I'll be with you. I'll be there for you always. Always and always. Just look over your shoulder. Just look over your shoulder. Just look over your shoulder. I'll be there always.'

(Y/N) was happy that her family could do this for her. But she couldn't hold onto life any longer. With her final breath, she said her last words. 

"Thank you all for reminding me... that I'm alive and loved."

She fell limp in Cedric's arms and her breathing stopped. She was gone. Cedric didn't believe it for a moment until he checked her pulse. Nothing. That's when he burst into tears and held her closer to him. He didn't want this to be true but it was. And no one interrupted Cedric's greaving. Everyone knew it was obvious that Cedric love his apprentice so he deserves this moment. Sofia didn't stay long. Everyone else may not have believed (Y/N) but she does. Tom did this to her sister and she wasn't letting Tom get away with this. She went to his room where he was practicing a sad act for (Y/N)'s funeral. Sofia walked in without Tom noticing and spoke her mind to him.

'Foolish King, depraved and vile. Still, you smile you, dirty sister killer. When you stand before the mirror do you still hold your head high? Carved her sentence with a knife, stole the gift that she called life but she still believes in you, so change soon or prepare for a living hell! You're gonna have a bad time if you carry on down this line and you don't abandon it soon. Just remember what (N/N) said to you, Thomas. I'll respect my sis' final words...'

"I would keep your mouth shut, little princess. Unless you want to join your sister," Tom said.

"You won't get away with this. My dad will learn the truth and you will be behind bars for what you've done," Sofia sneered.

She left to greave over her sister's death. Nothing will be the same without her.