Chapter Forty-One: The reactions to the affair

That affair was no imagination. It really happened. Tom was cheating on (Y/N) with a girl called Maria. She was a servant girl but he was very much in love with her and she was in love with him. But Tom's mother refused to let her be his queen so he knew he had to marry a royal. And that Royal was (Y/N). And Tom knew he could get away with it because of (Y/N)'s mental confusion. She'll think it's just her mind playing with her but it was far from that. But things got worse for Tom.

Maria's father had heard about the affair and was not happy that his king was betraying his queen. So, he told Tom about it but said he wouldn't tell anyone else if he paid him more than usual and let the affair continue. Tom knew if he fired him, he would tell everyone in Asgard and his legacy would be ruined. So, Tom paid him. But soon word got out that Tom was taking that money from the people and not his own funds. He proved that to be wrong but then made a mistake that would change everything.

Knowing the rumor of him taking the money from the people would only grow and become worse, he decided to write about everything, including letters that Maria had sent him. Now everyone knew about the affair. And that word left the kingdom to Enchancia where everyone heard about what Tom had done. Cedric was furious when he heard what Tom had done to his beloved apprentice. Thinking (Y/N) hadn't heard about this, Cedric wrote a letter to her explaining what he had heard.

This would be the first time (Y/N) heard about it all and knew that what she saw was no imagination. She was about as furious as Cedric. She sent a letter back explaining that she had seen it all happen. And it had been obvious that (Y/N) cried writing this because her tears had smudged the ink. 

"Tom will never change. He's tried to separate you and (Y/N) and me and Greylock," Madisyn said after reading the letter too, "I'm sorry she's had to go through this."

"He's a fool. And he isn't the one for her if he isn't afraid to pull something like this! (Y/N) deserves better. I could treat her so much better than that," Cedric said putting the letter on his desk.

This wouldn't be going in his collection of letters. He just wishes he could do something for (Y/N).

'I won't lie to you, I know he's just not right for you,' Cedric said everything he wished he could write to her, 'And you can tell me if I'm off but I see it on your face when you say that he's the one that you want. And you're spending all your time in this wrong situation and anytime you want it to stop, I know I can treat you better than he can and any girl like you deserves a gentleman. Tell me why are we wasting time on all your wasted crying when you should be with me instead? I know I can treat you better. Better than he can.'

'I'll stop time for you the second you say you'd like me to. I just wanna give you the loving that you're missing baby, just to wake up with you. Would be everything I need, and this could be so different. Tell me what you want to do. 'Cause I know I can treat you better than he can and any girl like you deserves a gentleman. Tell me why are we wasting time on all your wasted crying when you should be with me instead? I know I can treat you better. Better than he can. Better than he can.'

'Give me a sign, take my hand, we'll be fine. Promise I won't let you down. Just know that you don't have to do this alone. Promise I'll never let you down. 'Cause I know I can treat you better than he can and any girl like you deserves a gentleman. Tell me why are we wasting time on all your wasted crying when you should be with me instead? I know I can treat you better. Better than he can. Better than he can. Better than he can!'

And maybe he could. But he can't do anything now, can he? It's already happened. And (Y/N) wasn't happy about it. Because she wanted to make Tom feel the same pain he caused her. She was waiting for him in their shared bedroom with all of Tom's letters in a pile on the floor. Tom came in to see that.

"(Y/N). What is this?" Tom asked

"Your letters. All those words and lies you told me when you won my heart," (Y/N) said

"It was an act of political sacrifice. Now stop this foolishness and go to bed. You're not well and it's late."

"Not until I'm done with you," (Y/N) looked at the letters, 'I saved every letter you wrote me. From the moment I saw you, I knew you were mine. You said you were mine. I thought you were mine. Do you know what Cedric said when I told him what you'd done? He said,' (Y/N) showed the letter Cedric sent and read it out loud, '"You have married an Icarus. He has flown too close to the sun".'

She made the letter disappear and pointed her wand at Tom, 'Don't take another step in my direction. I can't be trusted around you. Don't think you can talk your way into my arms, into my arms. I'm burning the letters you wrote me. You can stand over there if you want. I don't know who you are. I have so much to learn. I'm re-reading your letters and watching them burn,' (Y/N) used her magic to set the letters on fire.

'I'm watching them burn. You published the letters she wrote to you. You told the whole world how you brought this girl into our bed. In clearing your name, you have ruined our lives. Heaven forbid someone whisper, "He's part of some scheme". Your enemy whispers so you have to scream. I know about whispers. I see how you look at my sister. Don't! I'm not naive. I have seen women around you. Don't think I don't see how they fall for your charms. All your charms!'

'I'm erasing myself from the narrative. Let future historians wonder how (Y/N) reacted when you broke her heart. You have thrown it all away. Stand back, watch it burn. Just watch it all burn. And when the time comes, explain to the children the pain and embarrassment you put their mother through. When will you learn that they are your legacy? We are your legacy! If you thought you were mine! Don't!'

(Y/N) was ready to leave when she turned back to him, "I'm going to the spare room. You can be alone just like you want. And we're going to Enchancia next week. I have to see Cedric. And, for the record, that sacrifice has ruined your legacy forever. Goodnight."

(Y/N) left Tom with the burning letters. She'll never forgive him for this.