Chapter Thirty-Six: May you always be satisfied

The party was great. Tom and (Y/N) had their first dance, cut the cake, spoke with guests all the while Cedric was feeling sad. He wanted to do all that with (Y/N) but he was too late and he knew that better than anyone. He was looking bored when Roland spoke up to the guests.

"Alright, alright. That's what I'm talkin' about! Now everyone give it up for the Best man; Cedric the Great!"

Cedric stood up and went to the center of the room, taking a champagne glass from the table. 

'A toast to the groom!' Cedric said holding up his glass.

'To the groom! To the groom! To the groom!'

'To the bride!'

'To the bride! To the bride! To the bride!'

'From your teacher.'

'Cedric! Cedric! Cedric!'

'Who is always by your side.'

'By your side! By your side!'

'To your union.'

'To the union! To the revolution!'

'And the hope that you provide.'

'You provide! You provide!'

'May you always...'

'Always.'

'Be satisfied.'

'Rewind.'

We'll rewind to the day that Cedric and (Y/N) met. The way he remembered it. And the day he first fell for his future apprentice.

'I remember that day, I just might regret that day for the rest of my days. I remember those rich boys tripping over themselves to win her praise. I remember that dreamlike candlelight, like a dream that you can't quite place. But (Y/N), I'll never forget the first time I saw your face. I have never been the same. Intelligent eyes in a hunger-pang frame and when you said "Hi," I forgot my dang name. Set my heart aflame, ev'ry part aflame, this is not a game...'

He was suddenly in his tower where they first talked to each other. 

'You strike me as a man who has never been satisfied,' (Y/N) said smiling

'I'm sure I don't know what you mean. You forget yourself,' Cedric said with a small smile

'You're like me. I'm never satisfied.'

'Is that right?'

'I have never been satisfied.'

'My name is Cedric the sorcerer.'

'(Y/N) (L/N).'

'Where's your family from?'

'Unimportant. There's a million things I haven't done but just you wait, just you wait...'

Everything disappeared around him as he spoke more about the day they met and about (Y/N).

'So so so- So this is what it feels like to match wits with someone at your level! What the hell is the catch? It's the feeling of freedom, of seein' the light, it's Ben Franklin with a key and a kite! You see it, right? The conversation lasted two minutes, maybe three minutes, everything we said in total agreement, it's a dream and it's a bit of a dance. A bit of a posture, it's a bit of a stance. She's a bit of a flirt, but I'm 'a give it a chance. I asked about her family, did you see her answer? Her hands started fidgeting, she looked askance? She's penniless, she's flying by the seat of her pants. Pretty, girl does she know it! Peach fuzz and she can't even grow it!' we transition to (Y/N)'s sorceress ball, 'I wanna take her far away from this place then I turn and see Tom's face and he is...'