(7. Shay ✞)

*Inspired by Season 2 Ep 11 We don't work together anymore

Erin had left to join a task force and now I was the only female in the unit. It was nice having another girl in the unit but Erin and I didn't exactly get along. We weren't enemies, but I wouldn't call us friends either. She was a good person, she really was, but in my opinion, she liked to have all eyes on her, and she also seemed to have Jay wrapped around her finger.

Things with Jay were complicated. We were still friends and we still talked of course but I could also tell that not having Erin around anymore was bothering him. I wouldn't have minded so much if he didn't make it that obvious but I also hated how every time we went out I felt like he was leading me on all for him to go back to Erin in the end.

Luckily for Jay, (unlucky for me), Today's case involved us working with Erin and her task force. As soon as she got to the district, just as I suspected, all eyes were on her. Everyone took their turns poking fun at her and now she was in front of me and so were all eyes.

"Nice working with you again stranger." was all I thought of saying and we gave each other forced smiles.

___

We had quite a lot of information and Hank and Antonio were now interrogating some of Mendozza's men. I was reading through some documents when I heard my stomach grumble. I noticed Nadia was on the phone so I grabbed my wallet to head down to the vending machines for some food.

"Hey Nad, want something to eat?" I whispered to her.

"A coke? please" She whispered back covering the phone before speaking.

I nodded and winked at her before heading down. Once I made it to the last steps I noticed Kelly was talking to Trudy.

"Hey, Kelly." I walked over to hug him.

"Hi." He smiled and hugged me back.

"Everything alright?" I asked him and turned to Trudy who had her usual serious face on.

"Yeah just needed something from the Sarge here, trying to help someone out." He briefly explained.

"Is she budging?" I asked him and he shook his head smiling back at Trudy.

"C, mon Ma, he's my friend, and he got me out of the hospital explosion, he saved my life." I started giving Trudy reasons to help him.

Kelly stayed quiet but high-fived me behind his back.

"Fine, come back after shift, I'll have the paperwork for you." Trudy gave in before she walked away.

"Thank you y/n." Kelly laughed hugging me and lifting me up slightly spinning me around once. "I owe you." He said as he put me down.

"No way! If anything we're even now." I smiled. I then felt someone hit my shoulder and walk past me.

I turned and saw Jay heading to the stairs, not even acknowledging my existence.

"What was that about?" Kelly glared at Jay who didn't even turn around.

"I have no idea." I sighed.

_____

Once we had wrapped up the investigation once again someone had suggested we all go to Molly's. I packed my things up and I saw Jay and Erin giggling away in the coffee room. I turned and rolled my eyes annoyed at their high school-like attitudes. I knew Erin was just reeling Jay in again, only for her to push him away a couple of days later.

Nonetheless, I knew it was none of my business, I just knew that any idea I had of Jay and me being anything more than friends was gone now. I wasn't about to be some toy Jay could just turn to when Erin wasn't drawing him in.

They both walked out of the coffee room, Jay's arm around Erin. "You two coming to Mollys?" I asked them and Jay barely even looked up at me.

"I think we're headed to my place, Jay'll probably stay the night," Erin said in a slightly condescending tone.

I let out a short laugh. "Of course he will," I said under my breath.

"What was that?" Jay's head snapped up at me.

"Oh nothing, I just said have a good night." I forced a smile at them both before turning around ready to walk out.

"So y/n are you with anyone right now?" Erin asked me again in the same tone as before.

I turned back around slowly still wearing the same smile. "No Erin, I'm not, but I have my fun, just like you." Her smile dropped and I turned around and started walking down before she could bark back.

____

Once I got to Molly's it was closed. I furrowed my eyebrows before pulling out my phone to call Gabby. She didn't answer. I then called Otis and he didn't answer either. Finally, I called Hermann and he picked up.

"Hey Hermann, is everything alright?" was the first thing I asked.

"No." his voice sounded weak. "y/n...Shay...She" he could barely talk.

"No... Hermann." I felt a knot in my throat forming.

"She's gone." He spoke quietly.

"I need to go, I'm so sorry, Hermann, Call me if you need anything," I said trying to stop myself from breaking down on the phone.

"yeah, thanks, kid." His voice was breaking and he hung up. I let my tears fall freely.

I got in my car and drove to Kelly's. I ran up to his apartment and knocked on the door.

"Go away!" I heard him yell from inside.

"Kelly! it's me, y/n." I shouted back.

I heard footsteps coming to the door before it opened. Kelly was a mess, just like I expected him to be after losing his best friend. I stepped in and he closed the door behind me.

"I'm so sorry." I tried to hold it together but I felt a few tears roll down my cheeks. He leaned forward and hugged me tightly while letting himself cry more.

"She's gone." He cried on my shoulder.

I walked over to the couch with him and he lied down with his head on my legs. I had no idea what to say to him. I ran my hands through his hair while he let it all out and I knew just being there was already a sign of support to him.

"Hey, remember that day Shay told you to kiss me in the bar?" I asked him.

"Yeah." He sniffled.

"It was to avoid Jay. I've had a crush on him ever since he arrived at the unit, and he was a d*ck to me so I asked Shay to help me avoid him-"

"So she asked me to kiss you and that's why he hates me." Kelly let out a short laugh.

"I guess so." I laughed with him.

"She always knew what to do." Kelly started crying more.

After 1 hour of him crying and sharing a few stories here and there Kelly fell asleep hugging my legs. My legs were numb but that didn't matter, he needed the rest and if me being there helped him then so be it.

I texted Trudy letting her know I was with Kelly and after a while, I also fell asleep leaning my head back on the couch.