(49. Preparations)

Jay had grieved his dad in the ways he knew how, I was very proud of him for being so vulnerable in front of me, I knew it was hard for him. But I was with him every step of the way. I hadn't mentioned the wedding to him, or what his father had told me before he died. I think some part of me felt guilty that I could have possibly been the last person who spoke to Pat.

"So I think I'm gonna ask Will to be my best man," Jay said out of the bloom while we were cooking.

I was pleasantly surprised, a smile soon forming on my face. "Yeah? I think that's a great idea." I encouraged him.

"Yeah...I thought about asking Adam cause he'd be awesome at throwing a bachelor party with strippers and all..." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes at him playfully. "Yeah well I'm gonna ask Trudy to be my maid of honor, and I with the bridesmaids I have lined up...my bachelorette party...." I just smiled and didn't say anything else.

"Mhm, I'm not sure I like this part of the wedding." Jay's eyebrows furrowed imagining the possibilities.

I laughed. "Hey, I was thinking since I have no one to walk me down the aisle...I wanted to ask Adam. I mean he's like a brother to me and I just think it should be him." I told Jay.

"I thought Mouch would walk you?" He asked.

"Yeah, I mean Trudy told me he would but I don't know...I love Mouch but Adam's been there for me...always." I was honest.

"Well I think it's a great idea, just prepare the tissues when you tell him, that man will break." He laughed.

_____

We headed to work and today's case was pretty light. I was really trying to find a moment where I could talk to Adam.

I was in the coffee room pouring myself yet another cup when Adam came in. "How are the wedding preparations?" He asked as soon as he walked in.

I looked back to see if everyone else was distracted before shutting the door. Jay smiled from his desk and I just gave him a wink.

"About that, I wanted to ask you something?" I started.

"Sis, of course, I'll be your maid of honor." He joked making me laugh.

"No actually..." I didn't know I would get emotional about this but I started tearing up. "I was wondering if you'd want to walk me down the aisle...you know? Since my dad is kinda-" I started rambling.

Adam cleared his throat but I could see his eyes were welling up. "It'd be an honor sis." He answered. "Come here." He set down his coffee cup and pulled me into a big tight hug. I heard him sniffling.

"Thank you, for everything,"  I said as we hugged.

"I'm so proud of you, I hope you know that." He whispered.

We pulled out of the hug and I had to wipe a few tears from under my eyes, and I saw Adam did too but tried to hide it. He nodded and then walked out clearing his throat one more time.

I walked back to my desk and Jay was smirking. "Told you to prepare the tissues." He joked.

"Shush that was very special." I laughed too leaning over to give him a quick kiss.

We kept working and then Will walked up the steps. "Hey everyone." He greeted us.

"Hi Will, what you doing here?" I got up to greet him.

"Jay called, said he needed something." He said. "I had some time so I decided to swing by, so what's up man?" He asked his brother.

"Oh yeah, just wanted to ask you to be my best man." Jay didn't even bother to get up from his desk.

"Wow, such a special moment." I shrugged.

"Oh yeah, totally...of course." Will's smile grew wider and so did Jay's, I could tell they were both really happy about this but for some reason, they couldn't even hug.

"Oh my god, can you hug your brother?" I scolded Jay.

"I...fine." Jay finally got up and hugged his brother tightly.

"Alright well, I'll start the bachelor party preparations...Kev, Adam, I'll call you." Will pointed at them both.

"Yeah man, take care," Kev answered while Adam simply nodded.

"Not gonna lie bro, I thought you'd ask me...I'm kinda hurt." Adam started telling Jay.

"Shut up man, you got a better role." Jay threw a pen at him.

Adam jumped in his seat as the pen hit his head. "Yeah well...alright I'll take it." He shrugged jokingly offended but gave me a wink.

____

I knew that I had to talk to Trudy about Mouch not walking me down the aisle and also about her being my maid of honor so I thought it best to do it after work when she wasn't in her usual mood of making everyone's lives a little harder for her own entertainment.

I had packed everything and Jay was doing the same. "Alright, I'm gonna go talk to Trudy I'll see you downstairs." I gave him a quick kiss.

"Good luck baby." He slapped my bum, luckily no one noticed. I turned around and jokingly glared at him.

Downstairs Trudy was sitting at her desk doing something on her computer. "Hey Mah, d'you have a minute?" I asked as I was coming down the steps.

"Hey hon, yeah what's up?" She got up, walking around the counter to me.

"Uhmm." I pulled her into the empty office downstairs. "Two things, I know Mouch offered to walk me down the aisle and I know how important that would've been for you but I asked Adam to do it," I told her. I detected a little anger in her eyes but I was unsure of what she was gonna say.

"That's so beautiful honey." She teared up pulling me into a hug. "I mean that guy is a pain in my ass but you're right, he should be the one to walk you down the aisle." She pulled away just giving me her approval.

I sighed with relief. "Alright, I'm glad you agree. And secondly, I think you kinda saw this coming but I want you to be my maid of honor." The surprised look on her face genuinely surprised me too.

"Really? I thought you would ask Gabby or Kim." She was really taken aback.

"They're taking care of other things as my bridesmaids but I just wanted you to be next to me." I teared up again too.

"Aww honey." Trudy hugged me again.

"So I think that's a yes?" I laughed.

"Yes yes yes, 1000 times yes." She answered.

"Good." I smiled, feeling so happy and excited for the special day.

"Your man's waiting for you." Trudy gestured to the door.

Jay waved from the front desk. "Yeah." I smiled opening the door and walking over to him.

"Everything alright?" he was suspicious of my wide smile.

"Our wedding is gonna perfect." I couldn't stop smiling.

"Yes it will, but I don't care about anything else as long as I'm marrying you." He grabbed my hand pulling me into a kiss.