Chapter Twenty

When our boat hit the bank, we all stared up at the land before us, mouths dropped.

The forest was so dense, I could hardly see between two trees, and the brush was so thick, I didn't know how the hell we were supposed to get through. It was a wall of solid green so high, it looked as if the tips of the leaves were brushing the sky.

I've been to Targaryen before of course, but not the mainland. In my travels, I've stayed on the islands and on the small stretch of land that connected Targaryen and Althinyi, but this was the heart of Targaryen. I'd never dared come this far.

"How..." It was Carter, his voice soft. "How are we supposed to get through that?" In the forest, I heard bugs buzzing, birds chirping. At least there were signs of life.

Hoisting my bag on my shoulder, I said, "Not a clue," and climbed off the boat into frigid water that covered the greater part of my shins.

"If we die," Ace started, jumping off the boat and meeting up with me, "I hope you know that I will find your ass in the afterlife and kill you again."

I climbed onto the shore and gaped in awe at the forest. "I'll hire Rafe for protection."

"And my company?" He smirked. I finally looked away from the trees and stared at him dumbly.

"I'll pass." My eyes darted to the Princess whom he helped from the boat. "Besides, Sophie will probably desire your... company more." She gave the slyest of smiles to Rafe, stepping into the water. Rafe gripped her arm tighter and pulled her the slightest bit closer to him.

"Well then sorry, Vera, but I must listen to the commands of my queen." Sophie tilted her head cockily and looked like she was going to retort something, but Sorin walked in between the two, his shoulders breaking their contact.

"Kill me," he said, scoffing and looking as annoyed as ever.

Rafe glared after him. "Jealous bastard," he mumbled, walking to the bank of the shore with Sophie. She was still smiling.

"Don't let 'Mr. Muscle-man' get under your skin. He's just pissed that he hasn't gotten laid in -how long has it been- months?" she asked. Sorin glanced over his shoulder at her before turning fully to face her.

"And how would you know I haven't had a woman in my bed?" Sorin challenged. I could've sworn his eyes slyly flicked toward me.

"Because with my experience, men are crankier without sex." He took a half-step closer to Sophie, brows lifting.

"Would you like to help me with that, princess?" He smirked. Rafe cocked his head arrogantly.

"Sorry, she'll be a bit busy."

Before Sorin could respond, Sophie smirked. "Oh come on now boys. The bed is big enough for three." I glanced up from the compass I had fished from my bag, disgusted.

Sorin choked out a laugh. "I like how you think, princess, but I'm not big on sharing."

"Sharing what?" Carter asked. My mouth fell open slightly in confusion.

"You... you've got to be kidding me, right?" I asked. Carter's innocence, the way he obviously had no clue what we were talking about, made me drop it. "Nevermind."

"Well then good thing you don't have anything to share anyway," Rafe shot back. "If you get bored, just fuck Vera-."

"Rafe!" I bit out. He ran a tongue over his teeth and exhaled,

"Sorry." Then he turned back to Sorin. "Fuck Ace instead." From next to me, with her arms crossed, Ace rolled her eyes.

"I'd quite literally rather die," she said.