CHRISTMAS BONUS CHAPTER

_____________________________

Hey Readers!

Because my posting day falls on Christmas Eve, I figured I'd write a chapter about the gang celebrating Christmas. Note that this has nothing to do with the storyline, but takes someplace after the mission. Also, I decided to write this chapter in the third person just to change things up. I hope you enjoy!

Happy Holidays!

_____________________________

The Scarlet Assassin couldn't mistake the sender of the letter she held in her hands as anyone other than the king. Arrogant ass.

She turned it over carefully and saw the deep gold wax imprinted with King Orson's seal--a white-crowned sparrow sitting on an oak branch with a jeweled crown floating over its head--securing the parchment shut. But she didn't want to deal with his shenanigans now.

Vera shoved the letter into the inner pocket of her coat, as far down as she could in an attempt to make it not exist anymore. It was a feeble attempt but an attempt altogether. She had a sinking feeling of the contents of the letter, and she wasn't in the mood to prove herself right. It was the day before Solstice after all, and she had plans.

Vera thanked the man who had handed her the letter--one of her runners--and turned from the harbor, making her way home.

The streets, covered with layers of snow, carried smiling people, busy with both work and shopping. More children ran through the streets at this time too, holding small cups of hot chocolate in their gloved hands and gathering snow into balls, throwing them at their friends and family. The markets were crowded, more and more merchants docked daily, and the "Solstice spirit" seemed present on everyone as if it had been sprinkled on everyone by the last rainstorm. This was one of two times of the year that laughing echoed down the street.

But this also meant the bars and casinos were filled to the max which made business for Vera good, and money always put her in a good mood. That was, of course, until the infuriating King Orson decided to put a wrench in it.

Vera walked into the Viper's Den to find Vera's casino running per usual, her men stationed on different parts, watching over the players. She noticed Fallon was playing today at the blackjack table. Vera watched her flirt with a man in a crisp suit. She touched his wrist and let her eyes fill with lust, but Vera left before watching what happened next (before the man realized he had been tricked and that his 24 karat watch was missing). She began climbing the stairs that led to her office, and when she unlocked and opened the door, she heard someone order,

"No! That doesn't go there, idiot!"

Vera's mouth parted in both surprise and annoyance.

Sophie was hanging a garland over the fireplace; Sorin, whom Sophie yelled at, was hanging up ornaments on a large tree; Ace, in red and white pajamas, was drinking wine on the couch; Carter was cutting out paper snowflakes on the floor, and Rafe was stacking wood into the hearth.

"It's a metal sphere, Sophie!" Sorin shot back exasperatedly. "It doesn't matter."

"You can't put two red ornaments together!"

"Does this snowflake look good?" Carter asked, holding the cut-up paper high so Ace could see from the couch.

"Mmm it could be worse," she said. Carter examined his artwork, chewing on his lip.

"If you want the ornaments patterned in a certain way, you could've done it yourself," Sorin said.

Sophie scoffed. "I would have if you wouldn't have hung up the garland wrong!"