Chapter Forty

With a trembling breath, I crossed the large room and made it to the other side where a simple, small stone passage stood waiting for me. Every step I took was calculated and planned. My eyes scanned both the floor and the walls for anything that could be a trap, but the only thing I found was an old tripwire that, from the holes in the stone, looked to release arrows, and another row of those intricate tiles that I didn't dare step on or go near.

Finally, I made it to what looked to be a dead end. I examined the walls and realized I felt a cool breeze blowing from the side of the brick wall. There was no handle and no lock. I pushed on the wall. Nothing happened. Turning, I felt up and down the walls until one pushed down like a button. Locks clicked. The door cracked just enough for a sliver of light to shine into the tunnel and my heart skipped.

I placed my ear to the crack for a moment, but when I heard no noise, I slowly pushed the door open and stepped into the Nuxta palace.

My eyes adjusted to the dim light, and I saw I was in the servant's chambers. To my happiness, it was empty, so I sat on the ledge—the passageway door was about two feet from the ground—and slid my boots off to not track mud. My socks were still damp but not dirty enough to track footsteps on the carpet. I placed the torch on the ground and twisted it in a small puddle behind me until the fire went out.

Walking into the room, I turned and cracked the door just enough so that I could still pry it open. There was a tapestry over it that covered most of the edge. I shifted it so it straightened and began my move around the room.

There looked to be about 20 stations that included a bed, a trunk, and an oil lamp sitting on a small bedside table. In the middle of the room sat six desks all sitting in one big rectangle with sewing machines and scraps of fabric on each. This was the women's quarters. Now, I wasn't particularly fond of snooping as it took too much energy and usually resulted in a dead-end, but I still walked around the room, picking up anything that seemed interesting.

One thing that caught my eye was a series of letters hidden in the back of a drawer. I skimmed over them. They seemed to be from a daughter to a mother. I was about to toss them back into the drawer when the signature caught my eye. Aria. The name of the woman who was with the soldier that'd been escorted into the tunnel. I immediately read the first letter in my hand, tilting it close to the light so I could make out the words.

Mom,

He told me he loved me today! Oh, Momma, I'm in so much love! He's sweet and kind and great with the kids he visits at the school when he ventures out to see me. He's amazing with me. I've never met a more humble and generous man. We spent the entire night talking. Just talking. It was amazing, heavenly, unreal.

I never expected a man like him to love a woman like me, but he does. He actually does! I can't stop smiling.

I hope everything is okay in the castle. Please write back soon with all the new stories!

Yours Truly,

Aria

It sounded like just another gushy love letter that activated my gag reflex, but I still read the next one. It was dated for a month later.

Mom,

I'm sorry I haven't been writing back recently. The school has been crazy lately, and I've barely gotten a moment to myself. I'm glad to hear you've been good, but I'd feel much better if you just lived with me. I have enough space, really.

I met him again—you know who. He told me today that he'd run away with me if I only agreed. He said his father would never approve of our wedding, but he said he loved me so much that he didn't care. And though I had no intention of running away from my home, from you, I love him. I want to marry him and have a family, and if that is the only way... I might say yes. He has a plan and just enough money to scrape by, and he's made arrangements with an old friend. We'd stay with him for a while—until everything simmers down. We'll be safe. I won't risk disclosing it in this letter, but know it might be very soon. I'll send another letter when it's time. As always, I love you.