Chapter Sixteen

The ship was docked at a small island named Maribae, only a mile off the shores of Targaryen. That was the only island lenient on pirate control.

With all my bags -lessened from the storm- I made my way to Devolan who was standing near the taffrail, watching her crew dock the boat. "You got us here in seven days exactly. I'm impressed," I admitted. Devolan briefly glanced at me.

"I may not be a god, but I'm pretty damn close," she responded. My lips turned up.

Both our heads suddenly turned as Rafe walked up to us. We turned from the rail. "They said we're good to go," he said to me before directing his attention to Devolan. "Thank you, Dev. For everything." She grinned at him and stuck out her hand.

"Of course, handsome," Devolan responded as Rafe shook her hand. Without another word, but with a small wave, Rafe turned and began walking down the ramp. I watched Carter and Ace limp by -Ace helping Carter walk- until they too disappeared with Rafe.

Sophie passed, lugging more bags than the rest of us, but Devolan called her over before she joined the group. Her head turned, and without a single stroke of hesitation, made her way toward us. Devolan nodded toward the ramp. "Take care of him," she said, a pained smile on her lips. "He really is great, and... he's lucky to have you, Princess." Sophie flashed a brilliant smile and outstretched a hand.

"Please," she said, "call me Sophie." Devolan smiled.

"Take care, Sophie."

"You too, captain." They exchanged one more brief smile before Sophie descended down the ramp toward Rafe.

That only left me. Sorin was somewhere. I didn't know where exactly. After we'd climbed off of each other, he'd disappeared. I hadn't seen him since.

"So," Devolan started as preparations for disembarking the ship began, "this is goodbye." I smiled solemnly at her but shook my head, propping the bags of luggage I had further on my shoulder.

"No goodbyes," I said.

She gave me a soft smile back. Putting my hand out for a shake, I gave Devolan a last grin. But she didn't take my hand. She kept staring at it blankly.

But as I began pulling away, my grin dropping slowly, Devolan took my hand and pulled me into a tight hug. I just stood there, frozen, not returning nor rejecting the gesture. My entire body tensed.

"I'll see you again," she said, her voice determined, an order. "So, just, don't die, okay?"

I swallowed hard. "I'll add it to my list." My voice was strained under her tight grip. When Devolan finally pulled away, she smiled at me and nodded. We didn't say another word to each other. We didn't need to.

I made my way down the ramp. Sorin joined us two minutes later. He didn't meet my eyes.

The island was small but flooded with tourists. As we made our way through the city, I picked up Ravi, Powsan, Ŭrhaf, and Nòhrib all being spoken, along with a few others I didn't know. One man spoke Erish to a friend, making me turn my attention in momentary shock.

"What?" Rafe asked as I looked forward again, shaking off whatever had come over me.

"We've been walking for an hour and I haven't seen one damn inn," I said.

"But, hey, there's taverns everywhere you look, so the lieutenant should be set," Rafe gilded. When I glanced at him, I saw Sorin throw him a glare and flick the back of his head. "Ow," Rafe hissed, rubbing where Sorin had flicked.

"Vera, did you see that?" Rafe asked, lips curled. "He fucking flicked me." Sophie rolled her eyes as Sorin bit back a laugh.

"Don't touch my spy, Lieutenant," I sighed.