Chapter Twenty-Five

"Carrot top!" Those were the first two words Sorin Ackroyd Stryker ever spoke to me.

I was twelve and was on my back from getting reprimanded by Ms. Talia. Again.

Let's just say I was in a bad mood.

Ryn, my -let's be honest- only friend, was next to me as we walked to the outer ward where I liked to go to calm down.

He and I turned together to face the tanned boy with messy black hair that had called me. I'd never seen him before. Probably a soldier. I forced a pleasant smile, one even that stupid old bat would pass off as ladylike.

"I'm sorry. I must've misheard you," I told him, giving him one chance to fix his wording. Of course, it was better than some of the names people coughed behind my back or whispered, but today I was not in the mood to ignore it.

The boy only smiled cockily, making it more difficult not to pound his face into the floor. He took two steps forward. "I said, "Carrot top'," he repeated slowly as if I was stupid. "I'm hungry and I want you to make me something." Beside me, Ryn blew out a breath. He didn't say anything though.

"You want something, stable boy?" the boy snapped at Ryn, eyes flashing with anger, before turning back to me. "What are you waiting for? A bell?"

"No," I smiled. "I'm not a dog. I don't respond to bells. If you want me to do something for you, ask me nicely." The boy contemplated this. Something -curiosity, interest, surprise, something- flashed over his face.

"Do you want me to go grab the Head Maid?" He threatened, still smirking. This ass-

"Splendid," I spat through curled lips. "You can stop at the kitchen on your way over there. Good day," I said, taking Ryn's arm and pulling him back down the hall. We walked hastily away until the boy called out,

"Please." That word made me turn slightly. "Please will you go make me something?" I stared at him then and got a really good look. He was tall for his age of what I suspected was around fifteen. I could see the muscles poking from his shirt (he didn't wear a uniform) and his eyes were a deep hazel. His shoes were clean and his arm had bruises. If he was a soldier, I guessed they were from training.

I looked him up and down before telling him, "No," and walking away. He didn't come after me, neither did the Head Maid track me down.

I thought that was the last I'd see the boy, prayed it was.

I don't think I could've been more wrong.

Two months later. The Winter Ball.

I was standing in the corner, trying to hide my foot that tapped to the music. As I watched the royals and ambassadors and lords and ladies dance, I found myself desperately wanting to join them. This was the first year I was allowed to work the ball, and I had been ecstatic until I was pushed into this corner. My feet ached, and I was bored out of my mind.

"Having fun?" A voice asked. I turned to see the boy again. He was wearing basically the same thing I'd seen him in last time. Rolling my eyes, I tried to ignore him, but shuffling over, the boy went into my vision again. "You know, it's rude to ignore people."

I gave a heavy sigh. "You aren't supposed to be in here."

"But you're in here."

"I'm working."

"But it's a party."

"Doesn't change the fact that I have to work."

He smiled, amused with himself. "I snuck in."