Chapter Twenty-Seven

We slept restlessly that night, or at least, I did. After being awoken by another nightmare, only to find me alone, I stayed up going over plans and maps until the sun began peeking through my window. Then I gathered everyone and we were on our way.

Sophie and Rafe weren't talking. The only time either of them talked about it was to Carter. For a while, as we trekked through the snow, it seemed just like harness conversations, but it became apparent later that it became an unspoken competition- who could get more of Carter's attention. Petty and childish, they continued for miles, talking Carter's ear off. He didn't seem to mind though. Sometimes I think he was happy just to be included.

The snow was still thick, but thankfully not above our boots. Still, we all were shivering as we continued. I kept reminding myself that it was good that we were out of the woods, but out on the plains, the wind was what would be the death of us. Even in two coats, two shirts, two pants, and thick boots, I still couldn't feel any parts of my body.

"We should've just waited until the snow thawed," Ace bickered. "We're going to freeze to death-"

Carter cut her off. "Well, actually, we won't die because we are wearing heavy and fur-lined clothing. We'd probably get mild hypothermia. The chances of dying are slimmed to-"

"Oh, can it Carter," Ace mumbled, wrapping herself farther into her coat. Carter silenced.

"By the time the snow melted, Wintertide would be over and done with," I said.

"At least I could keep my toes."

"Yeah, but you might lose your tongue," I muttered.

"I just want a damn fire," Rafe said from the back. Sophie hissed,

"Stop whining, you big baby."

"Fuck off."

"Vera, how much longer?" Carter asked.

"Is there a village nearby?" Sorin added.

Ace said, "Great, now I lost feeling in my legs."

Rafe and Sophie were still fighting.

If the cold doesn't kill them first--which according to Carter, it won't--I swear to God, I'll do it myself.

________________

Eventually, I caved and we made camp before sunset. I had stolen blankets from the inn, along with their matches for ease of starting fires.

Wood was scarce, but we ended up getting lucky enough to wander upon a small patch of trees. We took turns cutting down the trees with the machete, and after a while, we had a good enough stack for the night.

We rationed out our food and drank from the nearby creek, but it was still far from the night. So, to keep our minds off the cold, we began a game of good old poker.

I didn't feel like playing, instead choosing to go over the maps and figure out where the hell we were. Carter started to play but ended up going out and sitting out. Sophie, being petty, didn't want to join anything that Rafe was doing, so after Carter got out, the two began talking.

"I'll see to your nine acorns and raise you a flask full of Hellsgate," Sorin challenged, slamming his flask in the middle of the circle they'd formed. Rafe scoffed.

"I fold," he sighed, throwing in his cards which consisted only of jumbled numbers in various suits.

Ace's eyes gleamed. She reached into her cloak, not breaking eye contact, and threw down her flask crafted of sanded wood. "I see your bid... and raise you 1,000 Eros." Everyone glanced up. Even Carter and Sophie--pausing their discussion--scooted closer to listen and watch.