Chapter Thirty-Three

Sorin pulled me to one side of the carriage when we slowed to a stop.

We were probably a mile from town. The road was windy and rough, but the trees were beginning to thin; and I didn't want any witness to see Sophie and I sneak out of the carriage. We had just begun to get out when I felt Sorin's calloused and firm hands guide me to the barren side of the carriage while the others said their goodbyes (Ace stayed sitting on the perch).

Through my surprise, I laughed softly.

"What-" His hands cradled my face, and his lips suddenly pressed into mine, stopping me. The kiss was slow, deep. It caught me off guard.

And when he pulled away, my eyes stayed closed for a second. I felt his breath on my cheek. I realized my hands were still clutching his jacket as if it was keeping me upright.

"What was that for?" I whispered. Sorin lightly pushed a strand of my hair from my face, tucking it behind my ear. His touch made my skin prickle.

"Think of it as an incentive to stay alive." He sighed. "You have a problem with getting yourself in perilous situations."

At this, I smiled. My eyes fluttered open, and I saw Sorin staring down at me. "Then when will I have my fun?" He smirked and leaned down, giving a light kiss to my jaw.

"Don't die and I'll show you exactly how to have fun."

"Mmm, what did you have in mind?"

"Stay alive and you'll find out."

I sighed. "Then I guess I'll just have to stay alive." He gave me a last smile, opening his mouth as if he was going to say something but thought against it. He let go of me, swallowing and walking away. Before he made it around the edge of the carriage, I stepped forward and said,

"Sorin." He stopped and turned, waiting for me to continue. After a second I breathed, "Be safe." He nodded once, eyes averting to the ground, and left. I followed. Sophie and Rafe were kissing on the other side, Carter, dressed back in his robes, standing there awkwardly looking off to the side. Sophie was the first one to pull away.

"You know this doesn't mean I forgive you," she said. "You called me a bitch."

"You called me a self-righteous asshole." Sophie swallowed.

"I'm sorry."

Rafe looked at her for a moment and leaned forward, kissing her forehead. "Me too."

Her lips turned up into a somber smile. "I'll see you in a little bit."

"Of course, princess." They finally pulled away. Down the road, my eye caught sight of another carriage, snowy white, rolling down the road toward us. Quickly, Sorin and Rafe got onto the foot board located on the back of the carriage and Carter climbed inside. Sophie and I grabbed the bags of weapons and slung them over our shoulders. We were in the brush before the driver of the other carriage could have seen us.

Once it passed, I said, "Let's go," And the princess and I began to weave our way through the trees. Over the journey, Sophie has gotten stronger, more resilient. We continued her training at night, whenever we had the energy which Sophie usually always had. She surpassed where I expected her to be, now being able to handle most blade lengths and widths without messing up or slowing down. I had also dabbled on the art of lock-picking–a more boring but sometimes useful subject–with Sophie who picked it up quickly.

At this rate, in a few short months, she might be able to match even Rafe.

Silently, we walked, having to crouch down at times when a carriage would come into view. Eventually though, we had to follow the natural curve of the forest and left the road. For many minutes, we trudged on, and the longer we walked, the more I worried we were going the wrong direction.