Chapter Twenty-Two

Hell?

The bushes swayed again, but so did the leaves and the grass and the small branches on the large trees. I turned and let out an annoyed breath. It had just been a breeze. I was getting startled by the wind. Great. I'm really losing it.

Brushing myself off, I forced my breathing to smooth and focused only on gathering wood. By the time I found my way back to the cave, the others had already begun unpacking at the edge where light still shone. I dropped the wood at the mouth of the cave, said, "I'm going to try to find water," and left again. Yet again, no one questioned me.

_________________

I was unsuccessful in finding a river. What kind of forest doesn't have one damn stream? Honestly.

It must've been an hour later, possibly more, before I found the cave again. The sun had set and I shivered in my coat as a chill set in. Even walking up to the cave, camouflaged by the night, I heard the sound of laughter. Pure, real laughter.

The others... They were telling jokes and sharing stories amongst each other. I identified each of their laughs. Even Ace was chuckling.

My steps slowed as I neared the cave. I peeked in, seeing the fire paint colors of red and orange on the walls, watching the others have a good time talking and eating whatever food they had cooked. Then I turned and sat against the rock hill, next to the entrance of the cave. I didn't announce my presence, didn't do anything other than sit and watch the stars above me while hearing the melody of laughter float to me.

They deserved this moment of happiness, and if that meant me staying away, so be it.

___________________

The sound of footsteps increased. I didn't have to look to know it was Sorin who sank down next to me, who followed my gaze to the stars.

We hadn't talked for five days.

"You have a habit of separating yourself from everyone else," he said finally.

I swallowed and said quietly, "I didn't want to wreck the mood."

Feeling his eyes fall down on me, I continued spinning the knife I had against my knee. "What do you mean?" He asked, as though confused. I didn't feel like explaining that I made the group fall silent when I walked in, that their laughter was scarce with me around. I quite literally made laughter die. So instead, I said,

"The sky is pretty tonight." Sorin looked up again, squinting.

"Yeah, I guess."

"That's what I studied in the castle," I said quietly, not sure why I had. It was just sort of the first thing that I thought of, and it had just come out. "Astrology."

Sorin seemed shocked that I had switched to this conversation, but he went with it. "Out of all the courses, you chose astrology? That's useful," he mumbled sarcastically. I shot him a quick glare.

"What did you study in the castle, anyway?"

Sorin gave me an incredulous glare. "Fighting." Shocker. That was the only thing he was good at. Well, that and sex, but, anyway-

Rolling my eyes, I said, "Look up." When he didn't, when he stared dumbly at me, I scoffed. "Just do it." Sighing heavily, Sorin tilted his head up toward the sky.

"What exactly am I supposed to be looking at?" I looked up with him.
    "Well, what do you see?"

Sorin exhaled irritably and shook his head. "I don't know. Dark sky? Small balls of light with no meaning or purpose what-so-ever?"