Chapter Twenty-Six

Now, ten years or so later we were sitting back to back on a crappy bed, half-dressed, trying to reach out to one another.

Sorin had told me he needed to tell me something to which I responded, "Yes?" to which he stated, plainly, "I was sent to kill you."

I stilled and silenced. He continued. "King Orson... he sent me a letter the day before we left." I know. I read it. "He changed my mission. He told me that if I didn't kill you, I would lose my job, my rank, be charged with treason, and sent to..." he didn't finish the sentence, but he didn't need to for me to understand what -or really, where- he meant.

"And?" I asked, tensing. "Are you?" Sorin was silent in response, so I continued. "It would make it easier if you did, you know? You'd go home a hero, having ended the life of filth. The others... they wouldn't be able to touch you by the time you made your way back to the shore-"

"Vera."

"You have to, don't you? You practically told me yourself-"

"Vera."

"Are you?" My voice was sharp, but I wasn't angry. I didn't think I had much left in me to be angry, but if this was how I was going to die, I wanted to be prepared. For what, I didn't know. It's not like I had anyone to send prayers to.

"No." I wanted to believe him, but I feared that's what my heart wanted. And if there was one thing this cruel, miserable world has taught me, it's that your heart is the last thing you want guiding you. It will lead you to the edge of a cliff and egg you to jump.

But instead of denying him, I asked, "Why?" because that was something I genuinely wanted to know. If, if, he wasn't going to kill me, why? What would he gain? What would he lose? What's the motivation? What's the punishment?

"Because..." Sorin's voice trailed off, but there was a knock on the door anyway. I wanted to ignore it but by the second round, I sighed, stood, and crossed the room. Upon opening the heavy slab of wood, I found Rafe -looking pissed- at my door.

"Yes?" I asked, exhaling.

"I just wanted you to confirm that we're staying for another night," he stated. A fact. Not a question.

My brows drew together. "What are you talking about?"

"The storm," Rafe said, irritably, but after seeing my confused eyes, he hesitated before asking, "You... you didn't hear it last night? We're snowed in. A blizzard came through. Damn near ripped the shingles off."

I shrugged nonchalantly. "No. Must've been asleep."

"Um... okay. Anyway, I'm assuming we're staying? We'll freeze if we try traveling in this weather." I rubbed my face. God damn snow.

"Talk to locals to see when it's safe to travel and put Ace to work on her inventions. I need to have those done before we're supposed to use them. And tell the princess to flirt with the desk worker. We don't have enough money for all of us to have our own rooms. That, or, try to nick some off of some locals. Also, where's Carter? I need him to help me with something."

"In the inn's pub downstairs. We got a table for the day."

"Good." I rubbed my head. "I need a drink."

"It's seven a.m."

"Your point?"

Rafe hesitated. He exhaled. "Nothing, boss." Then he was gone, leaving me frowning at his back as I watched him walk away. He only called me boss when something was bothering him.

"I'll... go talk to him," Sorin said from behind me. He was pulling on pants hurriedly. I could tell he wanted out of whatever conversation we were having.