Chapter forty-four

The maid stared at Sophie's cousin blankly.

Thankfully, she had spoken in Ravi, and the maid didn't seem to understand a word of it. Still holding onto Sophie, she creased her brows and said In Norhib, "I don't understand. What is this girl saying?"

Sophie was staring down at her cousin, stunned. She didn't speak.

"She mistook her for someone she knows," I said easily. Then, in Ravi, I said sweetly, "Keep your mouth shut if you want to keep her alive." I switched back to Norhib, looking at the maid. "Ma'am, do you mind if we escort this young princess to her parents? She's lost." This seemed to break the older maid out of her trance. She waved a hand.

"Yes. Yes, of course. Just hurry back. These glasses aren't going to serve themselves." Then, she pranced away to the next pair of unsuspecting maids.

Once the maid was out of earshot, Sophie breathed, "Elysia..." to the girl who's mouth had shut and face had heated.

"I thought you were dead!" She spat. "Where have you been for nearly two months?!"

"Elysia, I-"

"I'm really loving the reunion, but this is not the place to do it," I said in a hushed whisper, eyes focused on a man in a suit who stared at us as he passed.

"And who are you?" The girl snapped. My gaze slipped to her.

"That's none of your business."

"Are you the one who took my cousin?"

I scoffed. "What?"

"I swear to God if you hurt her-"

"Elysia," Sophie said sternly. The girl silenced and looked at her. "I ran away."

Elysia's eyes widened tremendously. "You what?!" Now, two more people glanced at us.

"We are drawing attention," I said quietly.

"You can shut up."

I looked at the young princess, then at Sophie. "Come get your cousin."

But Elysia continued. "Do you even know what I can do to you?"

Sophie mumbled, "Elysia, I wouldn't-"

"I'm a princess. You're a maid. I can have my guards arrest and kill you if I wanted."

"Elysia," Sophie hissed. "This is Vera Drystan, the, uh," her voice quieted, "Scarlet Assassin?" Elysia looked me up and down, only looking slightly surprised.

"You're shorter than I imagined, and why are you dressed as a homeless old woman-"

"Sophie, take your cousin before I stab her."

"How dare-"

Sophie lightly grabbed Elysia's arm. "Come on. Let's catch up." She looked at me. "You got this?"

I nodded. "I'll find you after."

"After what?" Elysia asked curiously.

We both ignored her. "Stay safe."

"You too. If anyone asks why you're alone, you had to escort the princess to her chambers, and I couldn't leave."

Sophie nodded. "Okay." She guided Elysia away, and I watched them until they disappeared from the room.

______________

The tray of champagne was heavier than I expected.

I paraded around the ballroom, trying to act as inconspicuous as possible. It didn't take long to get eyes on the prince, especially after the king made a speech and, just as Sophie had said, the prince had the first dance. I expected him to be dancing with a lady around his age dressed in some thick, flashy gown whose father held some political power, but I did not expect the prince to be dancing with a small girl wearing a thin, golden crown and the Targaryen crest on a green sash. I assumed it was his younger sister, the very young Princess Reina. He smiled and laughed while letting her stand on his feet as he guided her through the steps.