Chapter one

Here she was once again alone, watching someone she fell in love with find someone else. She jumped into a pool without a ladder; she didn't mean to, but she did, and now here she was, drinking her pain away.

Cat had been the one Kara called about finding a ring. Why, oh why, did her heart have to let the blonde in?

A sob caught in her throat as she slumped against the bar, tears flowing down her cheeks. The music started to fade, and the voices of the full bar were drowned out now by the effects of the alcohol.

"God, I'm pathetic..so stupidly naive thinking that- she could ac-love me..." Cat sighed. She needed to take her mind off of it.

"Hey."

Someone slid onto the stool beside her, waving the bartender away and taking the drink in Cat's hand. The blonde let it go without a fight; her head was too foggy to care.

Taking the time to look up, she finds the oldest Danvers watching her brown orbs shine in the dim light; full of concern, she instead dropped her head back down into her folded arms.

"What-what're you doin' here, Scully?" She slurred slightly; the other woman only downed the rest of the blonde's drink.

"Anyone can see it, Cat," she tensed, but Alex reached out, squeezing her shoulder softly with a cryptic look in her eyes behind sympathy.

"Let's get you home, huh?" Cat nodded slowly, going to stand only to sway forward, almost losing her footing, but the brunette caught her, rubbing her back, feeling the blonde put all her weight on her.

Alex walked slowly, not minding the blonde's stumbling and slurred comments every other second, and was only focused on getting the woman home safely.

"H-how'd ya find me, Scully?" The brunette would never admit how much she liked the nickname.

"Brainy tracked your phone," her blue eyes attempted to glare up at the agent, but due to the alcohol, she managed a harmless and adorable pout.

Due to earlier information, Cat refused to give Alex her apartment building. The brunette could've asked Brainy again, but decided maybe it would be best if Cat went to her own apartment in the morning.

"Cat, c'mon, I can't take you home if I don't know where you live." Once again, the blonde shook her head. Alex decided to give up.

"You'll sleep at my apartment," she states, and the woman doesn't say anything; she just silently looks out the window.

The drive was silent; you'd think the ten minute drive would sober the blonde up a bit, but it didn't; she seemed more unstable than ever, and her vision was getting blurrier when Alex helped her out of the car before she completely slumped into the brunette from exhaustion.

Alex sighed, adjusting Cat in her arms, grabbing the woman's heels and purse, and closing the passenger door before heading towards the apartment building's door.

"Cat hey," the woman groaned in protest, "I know, but I and you both know that dress is tight and uncomfortable. I can get you some clothes, and if you want, you can use the shower or just change and go back to sleep, up to you."

The older woman's eyes opened now half lidded as she sat up slowly, feeling like someone was playing soccer against her skull every five seconds. "Just give me the damn clothes, Scully," she said, being handed some grey sleep shorts and a faded oversized NCU shirt.

Alex turned on her heels and left swiftly after letting Cat know she'd be on the couch. Cat blinked heavily, mind on autopilot, as she changed, folding her dress and putting it on the dresser before climbing into the soft California kind bed and letting exhaustion consume her once again.

_______

"Scully?"  It was a call full of sleep, but the woman felt wide awake. She found aspirin and water on the bedside table when she woke and silently thanked the oldest Danvers.

The blonde frowned, deciding to take the woman up on the shower offer. There were folded clothes on the edge of the bed, which she took and headed for a shower.

She wonders if these were the brunettes' clothes or something she just had around; the yoga pants and sweater didn't seem like the agent's style, but they fit Cat so she didn't question it any more, putting her hair up in a loose bun.

"Hey, how you feelin'?" She looked up. Alex came in with her hands full; the blonde could smell the freshly baked pastries and coffee from the brunette's outfit; she went for a run that morning.

"I'm fine, now is that coffee for me?" Alex nodded, handing her a bag and coffee, and rubbing the back of her neck sheepishly.

"I don't know how you like your coffee, but listening to Kara's ramblings, I winged it" Cat nodded. "I'm going to go shower.  "If you need anything, just call."

She watched Alex disappear down the hall, her mouth full of a croissant. Cat caught the worry in her brown eyes as they flickered worriedly over the bruises lining her cheek and neck, but she didn't comment.

"Where'd you get those from?" The blonde was startled, almost choking on a cinnamon bun. "Sorry," the woman said as she walked up in some new clothes.

"I was at home, well, my building's security guard Hank was helping me up to my apartment, and I was for once close to blacking out. I don't remember how, but I ended up in a fight with my neighbor Barbera. She threw a lamp at me. I threw a glass bottle and she went out before me. I danced in victory then blacked out in Hank's arms. He's a good man, you know. He didn't even try to break it up."

Alex raised a brow "it doesn't hurt?" She shrugged, "not really, maybe if I touch it." The brunette nodded her eyes, searching for any other signs of the older woman being injured in any way.

"Do you need a ride home?" Blue eyes darted away for a second, and she could tell the brunette knew her answer "I can just call a cab. I'm sure you have better things to do, Scully." Alex, already expecting the woman to dismiss her offer, shook her head.

"Nope, everyone has work; it is only Thursday, KitKat." The blonde ran her fingers through her hair, sighing, "Alright, have any shoes I can wear? heels with this, they just might think I'd be selling this body of mine for a couple of bucks, and I'm still too hungover to be stumbling into my building."

Alex only chuckled, "Yeah, I don't know if they'd fit you, but shopping with Lena, who buys a lot, a pair of black and white Nikes got mixed up in my pile and I've never touched them because they were too small, and I wear men's so..."

Cat felt a little uncomfortable in the elevator, but it eased up when they got to the black SUV in the parking lot, and as they drove, the two settled into a debate over Al's or Poison, then what the blonde had been up to lately, and when they pulled in front of her building, dread settled into her stomach fairly quick.

Brown eyes watched the woman tense slightly, and her eyes became dark. Alex knew that look. She saw it either in her eyes or Lena's, mostly her eyes, and the look told her that Cat was going to go upstairs and drink all her worries away.

"Cat.." a hand caught her wrist. She looked back, taking a breath. Tears sting at her eyes, but she does her best to blink them away. She felt too vulnerable. She doesn't know why, but the suddenness of it made her chest hurt.

"Hey...I know what it's like. If you ever need a drinking buddy, call me okay, or a shoulder to cry on, I'll be there. We don't have to talk. We can watch movies, and I'll bring some ice cream or takeout. Whatever you need, I'm right here, okay?" Brown orbs glimmered, staring softly into blue.

She took another deep breath, nodding. "Okay." was the broken whisper she managed to get out. The brunette nodded, squeezing her wrist reassuringly.

"I put my number in your phone last night just in case," the vigilante smiled sheepishly, and Cat only nodded once again before turning to leave before spinning around and meeting confused eyes.

"Thank you, Alex."