Chapter four

6 months till the wedding
__________________

The process continued Cat in a bar or at home drunk out of her mind and Alex taking care of her when the vigilante moved she helped Danielle and Riley move into her guest bedrooms all while texting Cat.

"Alex!" The brunette's head snaps up she pushes the power button and her screen turns black as she meets her friend's irritated face.

"What's up?" Riley had yet to look up from the tv being engrossed with her favorite cartoon and Danielle's chest tightened knowing the reaction she was going to get from her daughter "Riley's dad cancelled.." the girl's head snapped towards them and her face dropped earlier excitement gone.

The smaller brunette had disappeared into her room the door shutting with a slam and her mother sighed jaw clenching in anger as she dropped onto the couch "I have to be at work in ten Alex what am I going to do?"

The vigilante smiled standing she squeezed her friend's shoulder reassuringly "I got it" the hope that filled Danielle's eyes made Alex grin "I'll take her and we'll go for ice cream spend the whole day goofing off we'll be fine."

Danielle hugged Alex tightly thanking her repeatedly before leaving the woman knocked on Riley's door cautiously.

"Hey, Riles what do ya say if I take you to the museum instead?" There was some rustling before the door opened and Riley sniffled eyes red she nodded Alex opened her arms "c'mere" she mumbled softly and Riley threw herself into awaiting arms.

"Alex?" She hummed grabbing her keys "can we go to the park n'stead?" Turning Alex frowned "you don't want to go to the museum anymore?" Riley shook her head "Kenna's goin to the park today" there it was Alex nodded smiling "alright to the park we go."

The eight year old grinned bouncing on her toes as they walked closer to the park other kids were running around and playing once Riley saw her friend she broke into a run tackling her
friend into a hug Alex chuckled sitting on an empty bench watching the two join a game of tag before checking her phone.

"Ally!" She tugged on Alex's sleeve "what's up firefly?" The vigilante smiled down at the girl who had a beaming smile a taller girl with chestnut brown hair with her cheeks full of freckles and square black glasses.

"Can Kennan come over?" The girl gave a wave when Alex looked over at her "if it's fine with her mom and yours" the two looked at each other then back to Alex "be back!" The vigilante took the chance to call Dani.

———

Across the city, Cat sat on her couch in some sweats and the hoodie Alex left behind she knew it was still early but that didn't stop her from downing two bottles of brandy working her way through her last bottle of whiskey meaning she'd need to go out and get more.

Cat sighed running her fingers through her tangled hair she'd been tipsily washing clothes before the sun rose she hardly slept anymore and for a couple of weeks she's been playing dumb but the blue and red that flashes by or hangs in the sky makes her a little apprehensive knowing that she's being watched but a small part of her heart hopes it's because of a reason that doesn't concern her and Alex's recent relationship.

"Kara what a pleasant surprise" she drawled as the super let herself into the blonde's apartment and cat was hit with a strong sense of familiarity but this Danvers didn't have an overnight bag slung over her shoulder with a slight grin this Danvers stood an uncomfortable silence stretching between them.

"Cat you've been avoiding me" the blonde sat on the couch beside the older woman making sure to leave space between them.

"And you've been watching me" was the woman's dry response and the blonde's brows pinched together crinkle forming.

"I'm heartbroken not an idiot
ms. Danvers" Cat decided to savor the last drops of her whiskey and sipped slowly resisting the urge to down it all glancing at the blonde she saw the blonde open her mouth to speak and decided this was now or never.

"Look it was a one time thing you were weak and I was naively in love I get it you love her and don't want to mess it up fine let me wallow I never jump when I have the chance because it'll be short lived you've been in love with her for years and I knew I couldn't stay but you insisted and cried and begged and you know I just...I couldn't say no."

Kara looked over at Cat guilt shining like the sun on her features but the blonde couldn't bring herself to look at her for more than a second and kept pushing on.

"I always had a drinking problem when a marriage went downhill I drank when I miscarried once again I drank when you cheated I drank till I couldn't remember my name or yours and pass out on my office couch when you threw out mixed signals I'd drink then I got an opportunity to get my life on track and be a better person but what happened? I-I listened to my heart...stupidly might I add..then I fell into bed with you."

Cat gave a dry chuckle downing the rest of the amber liquid tears pooling in her eyes "I found solace in your sister she seems to care and want to pick me up when I have no hope she had hope that I'll get better and accept her help and I've been trying so what she comes over and watch cheesy romance movies or when she's too tired after a fight to go home she collapses in my bed."

They sat for a moment Kara processing all the new information.

"Have you slept with her?" Cat scoffed "Skully? No, she doesn't force me to talk and I don't make this any harder than it has to be" Kara looked at the older woman whose eyes were trained on her phone that was on the coffee table and Kara glanced at it seeing that it had lit up a message from Alex on it her sister was just checking on Cat otherwise Kara thinks the woman would've reached for it.

"I'm sorry..." Kara started picking at her cape "it was wrong of me to do that after all, I knew about all your worries and insecurities about us and I still made you see that you were right I did want us to work but you knew I was in love with her but still even after all your rejections I pushed wanting you it was something that would go away you were right and I refused to believe it."

More text came in all by the name 'Skully007' "she did that even after expressing how much she hates the nickname..." Cats head started to spin and the alcohol started to settle in just as the messages stopped and her phone rung Kara picked it up answering for her.

"No just to talk.....she's fine Alex although you should stop by...yes Alex....w-what?....hello?..Alex?" Kara frowned at the phone her sister hung up promising to be over "Alex will be here as quick as she can she's babysitting for Danielle she said maybe an hour or two and I'll stick around till then" Cat grumbled "I'm fine.." she slurred.

"Your lying" Kara said picking up the tv remote and switching to Netflix "let's watch a movie till then huh?" Cat shook her head "you can...can leave" blue eyes narrowed and Kara poked Cat's side "not till Alex get here" the blonde didn't protest knowing it was useless.

______two hours later______

Alex knocked on the door but Cat didn't seem to notice she stared eyes lost and hollow seemingly in another world so Kara stood going to unlock the door being met with a smiling Alex.

Kara frowned when she slipped into Cats bedroom for a few minutes before coming back out no longer in jeans and a button up instead a black T-shirt and sweatpants having kicked her boots off at the door Alex decided she was too hot to keep her socks on and abandoned them in the laundry basket.

"You have clothes here?" Alex nodded taking Kara's earlier place but at the new presence blue eyes looked up at the oldest Danvers shuffling closer head dropping to her shoulder "Skully.." she mumbled not glancing at Kara instead watching as Alex scrolled through Netflix finding L.A.'s Finest and pressing resume on season two episode five.

Kara decided to take her leave "see ya Alex...bye Cat" Alex waved smiling at her before Cat pulled her attention back to their show with a snide comment about Ben and Alex laughed mocking offense at the next comment about Syd and Nancy both looking at each other before laughing.