Chapter 1

Saying goodbye to your life is would normally be a bittersweet thing but I'm honestly looking forward to it

Saying goodbye to your life is would normally be a bittersweet thing but I'm honestly looking forward to it. I've been prepping for this for the past few months and today is the day I say goodbye to my old life.

Temporarily of course.

I'm saying goodbye to Zeanna Mitchell and embracing my new identity as Arya Cane. Every aspect of my new life was strategically chosen so I could get close to Adriano DeLuca. NRPD has been trying to take down Adriano and his men for a while now. First his father and now him.

I've been a detective there for the past three years now. It was a long road to get there, but hard work and patience pays off. It took a lot of convincing for the captain to give me this assignment and I don't intend in fucking it up.

As I'm settling down in my new apartment I hear a unexpected knock on my door. I wasn't expecting anyone so I quickly grabbed my gun and walked over to the door. I looked through the curtain and saw my partner Mike.

"Asshole, you couldn't give me a heads up?" I opened the door.

"I just wanted to check in and see how you're settling in."

"You drove 5 hours here just to see how I'm settling in?"

"Yea, what can I say. I care about my partner."

"Well you could've asked over text. But since you're here just help me fix this place up."

"Alrightie." I let him in and we got to work.

I really wanted to make this place as comfortable as I could seeing as though I'll be staying here for a few months. I also had to make sure there were no traces of the old me in this apartment. After a few hours, everything was all set up. Mike and I were sitting in the living room chatting.

"You gotta make sure you get this shit right. If you fuck this up, there's a lotta people who will get fucked."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means don't fuck up."

"Have a little faith in me will you."

"I guess a little quiz won't hurt then right?"

"Go right ahead." I rolled my eyes.

"Name?"

"Seriously?"

"Zeanna, your name."

"Arya Cane." I was a little annoyed because I already had a tough time with the assholes back at the department. They all don't think I can do this, but it stings a little more knowing my partner doesn't either.

"Age, job and background."

"25, I work in the local coffee shop as a barista. Parents abandoned me when I was a baby, which made me an orphan. I grew up in 'Little People in Training' orphanage, went to a local community college for Information Systems. Things didn't work out back in my hometown, Hartsdale so I moved here to Red Hills for a new start."

"Perfect, okay. Everything is updated on your file, so when he runs your background everything will check out. You have all your IDs, passports and things like that right?"

"Yes Mike."

"Alright, let's take this bastard down. I'm gonna head out so I can get home before nightfall." Mike grabbed his jacket and walked over to the door. "I'll see you soon Zeanna." He turned and walked off.

"Hey Mike? Maybe coming back here isn't a good idea." He gave me a confused look. "Just don't want you to blow my cover."

"Alright, be careful."

Heading back to my living-room I plopped down on the couch with a huff. These next few weeks are going to be crucial in gathering the information I needed to get close to Adriano. It's going to be a long few months but the reward after taking that bastard down will be great.

Reaching over to grab my phone that was ringing on the table. I wondered who could be calling now, if it was Mike I was going to give him a earful about contacting me unnecessarily. It was actually Mrs. Jones, the little old lady that gave me the job at the coffee shop.

"Hi Mrs. Jones, how are you?"

"Hi Arya dear, I'm so sorry to be a bother. I know you're supposed to be starting Monday but Gwen my regular cashier had a family emergency and won't be able to work her shift tomorrow. Is it possible for you to come in a little earlier than your start date?"

Today is Friday and I wanted to relax this weekend before getting started with work. I really wanted to say no but the good part of me wanted to help the little old lady. When I did the interview with her which only consisted of three questions then her proceeding to tell me I give off a good aura and hiring me, you could really tell her shop was her pride and joy. She and her husband built this place together which has been opened for years, but sadly her husband passed away last year leaving her to run it by herself.

I shut my eyes and mustered up a fake smile. As if she could see me.

"No problem at all Mrs. Jones, I don't mind."

"Oh thank you Arya, you're a life saver. And so you can get your day back you can come in Tuesday instead so you'll still have your two days before you officially start working."

"That works! I'm coming in at 9 right?"

"Yes dear, see you then and thank you again."

After I hung up the phone I decided to do some more research on Adriano's regular hangouts. I had some notes written in my book disguised as a diary.

First one was Nova 88. A night club, typical.

The club was only three years old, seeing as Adriano just came to the states four years ago. Before that it was his father who ran the family business here. After Adriano's father went back to Italy, I haven't heard anything more about him.

Nova 88 would be my start, I needed to go there and be as nosy as I can without looking too suspicious. Seems easy enough.

Note the sarcasm.

Closing the diary I head inside my bedroom to finish putting my clothes in the closet. By the time I finished I was starving. Seeing that it was a few minutes after 9 I chose to stay inside and order takeout.

I took a nice warm shower before the food came. I had ordered a bread bowl and wings from dominos. Once the food came, I grabbed ten dollars and headed to the door. I made sure to look through the curtain before I opened it, it honestly could've been anybody. Once I saw it was the delivery driver I opened the door.

"Delivery for Zeanna?"

My eyes widened when I realized I accidentally used my real name to order the food. I thanked the heavens this was just a delivery guy and not Adriano or his men.

Can't make these careless mistakes Zee

I smiled and handed him $10 for the tip since I already paid online.

"Here you go," I handed him the ten dollars "And thank you."

"You're welcome enjoy, you have a real nice name by the way."

"My name is Arya," I gave him a brief smile before shutting the door.