Chapter 28

"If you told me, you'd be the one you'd be the one violating the terms of the our agreement, I would've laughed

"If you told me, you'd be the one you'd be the one violating the terms of the our agreement, I would've laughed." I said as I opened the door. "Hello, Adriano."

I locked the door and put my groceries on the table.

"Hello, amore mio."

I can't lie and say I'm not excited to see him because I very much was. I was still utterly in love with this man. A year and a half later and I was no closer to getting over him.

He stood up and made his way over to me.

"Zeanna, it's good to see you."

"It's good to see you too Adriano."

"My love." He held my cheek and I leaned into his touch.

Why am I doing this? He ended things with me that night. I snapped out of it and straightened up.

"Why are you here?" I asked him simply.

"I'm here for you."

"What does that mean?"

"I made a mistake that night. I shouldn't have ended things."

I flashed back to the night when Adriano caught me.

"We need to talk, Zeanna."

I nodded knowing that I was caught. I was terrified, was he planning on killing me? No, Adriano wouldn't hurt me.

"Relax, I'm not going to hurt you Zeanna."

I breathed a sigh of relief.

"I heard everything."

"But...H-how?" Then it clicked. My hand instinctively went to the necklace around my neck. "You gave it to spy on me?"

"No, I left it for your protection. I'm going up against Valentino, Ary- Zeanna. He knows how much I value you. If things go sideways, he might retaliate and go after you. The people who I've cut off the contracts with might attack. The necklace has a tracker and listening device in case something had happened to you and I needed to find you. I came back for something and you were nowhere in the house, I got worried."

"I promise I'm not with them anymore. I went to cut contact with them but they're threatening my family."

"I heard." He held my gaze.

He showed no emotion, but I guess I can't blame him for being on guard with me.

I felt so guilty.

"I know you aren't my enemy Zeanna, so I'd like to propose an offer and in return I'll keep you and your family safe." He sat up. "As for us. This will no longer continue. I respect you Zeanna but I will not continue something that was built on a lie. My trust for you has shattered."