Chapter 9

I just took a long shower and I have about an hour and a half to go before Adriano picks me up

I just took a long shower and I have about an hour and a half to go before Adriano picks me up. I'm gonna probe him to get as much information as possible. Hopefully I can use these opportunities to get closer to him and he'll trust me enough to let me in on certain things.

Going through my closet I picked out a strapless wrap top and high waisted magenta skirt that had a small slit at the side. Putting those to the side, I moved quickly to the mirror on my dresser to remove my headband and the pin curls. Once I was satisfied with my hair I put on my clothes, and assessed myself in my full length mirror. My face looked a bit bare so I went ahead and put on some lashes.

As time went by, I saw that I had little under twenty minutes until Adriano gets here. Walking out to my living room, I was startled when I heard a knock on my back door.

Who the hell?

Tiptoeing to the door I moved the curtain and saw my partner Mike standing there with our captain. I opened the door with a pissed off expression.

"What the hell are you two doing here!?"

"Relax, we came here to get intel," Jack, my captain was the first to speak.

"Mike, I told you not to come here without telling me first."

I was irritated because Adriano was on his way here now.

"This was my call not his,"

"Well you two need to leave right now. Adriano is on his way to pick me up this moment."

"We know, but we want the information you were able to get so far."

"What info? There's no info to get! It's been a month and he's been gone for three fourths of it." I was really annoyed.

"Zeanna you've been here a month and you have no info, no leads, no nothing?" Mike questioned me.

"You two expect him to just spill all his secrets to the first new person in town!?"

"Yea, well by now you should've got something." Captain pinched his nose then looked up in disappointment. I rolled my eyes.

"What part of him being gone for 3 weeks did you not hear?"

It was then I realized Jack said he knew that Adriano was coming over.

"How did you know Adriano was coming over?" They both sighed and didn't answer. Mike couldn't even look at me. "Well!?"

"We had you followed." Mike finally answered.

"Excuse me?" I was taken aback

"We just wanna make sure you're doing the job right Zeanna." Jack gave me a pathetic excuse.

"By having me followed!? Why the fuck did you give me the assignment if you're not gonna have any faith in me?"

"You think I wanted to!?"

"What's that supposed to mean!?"

"Nothing, just do your fucking job before I take you off the case, and you're wearing a wire on this little date or whatever you got going in."

I was practically seething at this point. Mike stood at the side as usual, watching the captain and I go at it. It was always like this back at the department.

"I'm not wearing a fucking wire, are you insane!?"

"I knew I shouldn't have put you on the assignment." Captain ran his hands through his hair. "Mike would you talk some goddamn sense into your partner!"

"Cap calm down. Zee's right, it'll be foolish of her to wear a wire. This is the mafia we're talking about, they'll easily know and she'll possibly get killed. Just have a little faith and trust that she'll get this done. Alright?" Mike patted him on his back. Jack reluctantly nodded.

"Another thing, this little flirtationship you got going on with DeLuca better be your plan to getting some intel on him, because if it isn't and I find out, so help me god."

"Relax, Zeanna's not stupid. Of course it's her plan." Mike defended me.

"Like I said, Adriano's on his way here now, so unless you want him to show up and kill us all, I suggest you both leave now."

"Alright, we're going." They turned and made their way out the door.

"And I'm not gonna tell you two again, stop coming here unannounced. When I get some intel I'll contact you, meet you somewhere secure and give you the info. If you two blow my cover by showing up unannounced that's on you." They didn't say anything, they just walked off.

I was actually really paranoid now because I had 6 minutes until Adriano gets here and he could possibly be outside already. If he sees my captain and Mike leaving then I know for a fact I'm screwed.

My annoyance towards those two was through the roof, I couldn't believe they'd be this reckless. Knowing DeLuca would be here in a matter of minutes and still choosing to show up.

And having me followed!?

I didn't even have time to be annoyed because I had to finish getting ready. As I made my way to the closet to grab my shoes I heard my doorbell ring. I turned on my heel and walked over to the door and peeked through the curtains. I already knew it was Adriano but I had to be sure. Once I confirmed it was him I opened the door.

He stood there wearing a black turtleneck with black jeans, he also had on a overcoat that he left open. His normally fluffy hair was gelled to the side and he held flowers in his hand.

His eyes traveled up and down my body, then a smile came to his face.

"Arya, you look beautiful as always."

"Thank you, you clean up nice." I complimented. "Come in, I just need to put on my heels and grab my coat." I held the door open wider for him to step through. I was still nervous because I had no idea if he saw Luke and Mike leaving.

"These are for you," He handed me the flowers and I shakily took them.

"T-thank you, they're beautiful." Adriano was studying me and I was honestly about to shit myself. Does he know something?

I brought the flowers over to the kitchen area and filled a vase with water and put them in.

"I'll be right back." I told him before I went to my closet to put on my heels, grab my pea coat and my purse.

Once I returned, Adriano was sitting in my couch patiently waiting for me. As soon as I stepped in the living room his eyes were on me.

He stood up and slowly walked up to me.

"I'm not blind Arya,"

Shit! He knows.

"W-what do you mean?"

"I can see that you're nervous. Relax amore, I don't bite," He pulled me in and kissed me gently on my forehead.

Oh thank fuck!

This is something I can easily play into.

"It's been a while since I've been on a date so I'm a little nervous." He nodded.

"That's understandable, don't worry I'll be a gentleman."

"I know you will," I smiled at him.

"You have a beautiful place by the way," He said looking around.

Yea? Too bad it's fake.

"Thank you, I wanted to make it as homey as I could." I said while putting on my coat. "You ready to go?" I asked. He nodded, held my hand and walked us through the door.

A part of me feels so guilty for enjoying his company. He's such a gentleman and his character doesn't even match all the things he's done, but I'm positive as time goes on, I'll eventually see the real him.